Made the big mistake

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJack

Junior
Reaction score
Well I made the big mistake of no patience. Everyone here said patience, patience, patience. Being new to the art of wine making, I made a Pinot Noir as a first kit, 4 week start to bottle time to get my feet wet. WellI couldn't stand it anymore and uncorked a bottle tonight as a "taste test" or at least that's what I told my wife (ya, she didn't buy that one either).
As expected, ithad anew,and watered down taste.As it sat in a glass for a few minutes the flavor changed some for the better, but it has a ways to go.So in a few months I will think about uncorking a bottle to see how it is progressing. SO, any advice or ideas on what to do while I am waiting ANDlearning patience until the next bottle is uncorked?

Make another kit.
Seriously, make a white, they are ready to drink earlier and will be hold you over until this one is ready. As soon as you bottle the white make another red, but look at the Mosti Renascence Kits.

I've had wines that were so bland after 6 months I considered tossing them. 99% of the time they improved dramatically after another 6 months.

Many wines will be "drinkable" after only a few months, but most require at least a year before they truly start to achieve their potential.

I agree with vcasey.

Start another one, so when this one is getting good you have others right behind it also getting good.

If you like beer make some beer as its ready to drink way faster!!!!!!!!!!

I started with a MM Ren Amarone, which it said would be drinkable in six months. The first time I tasted it was right after I degassed it. I am not kidding, it was so bad I couldn't swallow it. Just one month later, I tried it again. It was still tart green, but I was able to finish the half-glass I poured and even enjoyed it... it was mine!.
Just keep waiting! You WILL be rewarded.

A note - even though it says it is drinkable in six months, it will continue to get better every month after that for probably two years.

So, make a white and/or a red that's drinkable in six months.

I asked George that question about kits that drink early to hold me over while I wait for my Amarone. He suggested Mosti Vinifera Noble -- and guess what, they're on sale this month!
smiley32.gif

Arden

You cannot go wrong with the VN kits from Mosti. The price is great!
smiley1.gif

The Grand Cru Intnl. series are great also. I tatsed a 9 month old Primitivo that was excellent. I have a Primitivo ageing now, and today just ordered the Malbec and the Brunello. I also believe my wife got me the Syrah but I am not positive on this yet. I like the idea that these kits are 12L with skins, out of the fermenter the Primitivo was far beyond any 10 or 12L kit I ever did, and seemed like it would be better then alot of the 15L kits I have done in the past with no solids.

I also agree with vcasey, while you are waiting for your first wine batch to mature with age, make another, and another, and another!
smiley4.gif

Make more wine, or start brewing beer too. Another great project to consume your thoughts away from tasting that wine before its time...

So what do I do now that waiting 3 weeks is too long for beer???

DrJack

Ahh the 3 "P's" again come up LOL

Here is another

The 3 "T's" Taste Taste Taste. You already did your 1st taste now do more and see how youw wine changes. You can also "Taste" during the wine making process.

Oh and like said above make MORE wine.

What R U waiting for.. Before you know it you will have no wine to drink...
smiley19.gif

Latest posts

Back