Newb with newb mistakes and newb questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jeffersonmueller, go to MoreWine! and download their red and white wine making manuals. Do NOT try to read them cover to cover -- it's too much to absorb at once. Skim the white manual to get an overview, and then do the same for the red -- the differences for reds are mostly up front. Later go back and read in detail.

https://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals

It's not an improvement, just a placebo. The wine will oxidize with that much headspace. I allow 1" to 3" of headspace in a carboy, with my typical being 1-1/4" to 1-3/4". In the following picture all headspaces are 1-1/4" to 1-1/2":

View attachment 90690

Many moons ago a customer had a wine going great (I co-owned a LHBS), Niagara IIRC. She bought the juice in Oct, and everything was going great. I didn't see her over Christmas that year, and she came back in the shop in February wine a sample. Her wine was oxidized.

She and her husband had been drinking from the carboy -- they apparently missed the "bottling" part. I recommended she hit it with K-meta, bottle, and use it up.

Oxidation is like a car accident -- it's best handled by avoiding it.

This thread is a good illustration of 2 points: 1) when giving advice, ensure the recipient understands. and 2) Keep asking questions!!!

"Ignorance" is the most appropriate word.

ignorance
ĭg′nər-əns
noun
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

When I was a kid, "you're ignorant!" was a put down uttered by ignorant children. 🙃 But the reality is everyone is ignorant about many things. This condition is easily changed by learning.
I like to take the wine level in a carboy up to that heavy glass line. Probably about a half inch more than you show in your photo. Keeps all the carboys uniform. That’s just me.

Surface area is an issue, of course, but so is the volume. A gallon of volume has a bit less than quart of oxygen that can potentially be absorbed, whereas 3 gallons has a bit less than 3 quarts. Yeah, I'm knit-picking a little.

I've had crazy remedies to reduce headspace volume like balloons or laying a piece of plastic wrap on top of the wine to reduce contact. Never used them, just thought experiments.

BTW, it's been on my list so a couple days ago I started a gallon of ginger wine. Still in primary. I used 6 oz of ginger and half white sugar and half brown sugar. Too early to tell but I think in the future I may increase the ginger and brown sugar. It smells and tastes really good so far.
How did your ginger turn out thus far? I bottled some of mine prior to adding raisins as a safeguard and it’s got enough going for it that I will try again with that simple recipe - either with less ginger or with less pulverized ginger.

I added k-meta and let this wine sit awhile in bulk and then I backsweetened it a bit (after potassium sorbate) with some grape juice and some simple syrup. It’s drinkable now for sure, and doesn’t seem to have suffered any though I would no longer call it a “ginger wine”. Something about it reminds me of plum wine though not as sweet. Thanks for all the information and help along the way!

How did your ginger turn out thus far? I bottled some of mine prior to adding raisins as a safeguard and it’s got enough going for it that I will try again with that simple recipe - either with less ginger or with less pulverized ginger.
I actually have two 1-gallon batches of ginger in bulk. The first I used about 5 oz and there's hardly any ginger aroma or flavor. In both I cut the ginger into coins and steeped in hot water for a while before adding to the must. The second one I bought the ginger from a different store, ginger was from a different country, and has MUCH better aroma and flavor. I'll have to pay attention to the source next time.

As a Plan B, depending on flavor, when it's time to bottle I may make a ginger tea simple syrup.

I'll definitely do another ginger, maybe go 8-10 oz per gallon. I'm actually hoping for a punch in the face ginger taste.

I actually have two 1-gallon batches of ginger in bulk. The first I used about 5 oz and there's hardly any ginger aroma or flavor. In both I cut the ginger into coins and steeped in hot water for a while before adding to the must. The second one I bought the ginger from a different store, ginger was from a different country, and has MUCH better aroma and flavor. I'll have to pay attention to the source next time.

As a Plan B, depending on flavor, when it's time to bottle I may make a ginger tea simple syrup.

I'll definitely do another ginger, maybe go 8-10 oz per gallon. I'm actually hoping for a punch in the face ginger taste.
try pulverizing it in a food processor and you’ll probably fulfill your wish!

Latest posts

Back