Made a kind of a mistake.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildvines

Reaction score
I started my eclipse Pinot noir yesterday. Everything went well and seems like fermentation may have started. But here is the problem. I got up and went to throw the trash out. I noticed the empty water jugs that I used. My wife purchased the water for me and I made a huge mistake of not looking at the labels. We used Distilled water! Should I go to the local home brew store and get nutrients? If so which kind or brand.. ?

Wild, I would not worry about it. There are trace amounts of nutrients, perhaps, it spring water and whether or not they help the wine is debatable. I have used tap water, spring water and distilled water with no discernible effect. You will be fine.

Chances are, you will be fine. If fermentation has started, you'll be okay. Just watch it. And relax. ..

Thanks for the input guys. I really enjoy this forum and because of members like you guys that help us newbies out, Is why I paid the subscription to support this forum.

Well it's been bubbling nicely so far. Do u guys stir during primary or just let it be?

I stir morning and night. At minimum, I think it should be stirred once a day.

I am rather new to this, but all my wine has been made with distilled water, kits and home recipes. Everything I have made so far has fermented fine with this.

Wild, I'm also a beginner like you. Take peace in knowing that your first batch cannot possibly turn out as bad as mine did!

The in laws have me a 5 year old kit for Xmas... It looked like this after 8 days:

ImageUploadedByWine Making1390415192.022727.jpg

I've since started two more batches (this time using new kits) and they are turning out great.

I'm looking forward to reading your questions and keeping upto date with you :)

Wild, I'm also a beginner like you. Take peace in knowing that your first batch cannot possibly turn out as bad as mine did!

The in laws have me a 5 year old kit for Xmas... It looked like this after 8 days:

View attachment 13232

I've since started two more batches (this time using new kits) and they are turning out great.

I'm looking forward to reading your questions and keeping upto date with you :)

Oh damn. Well glad the others turned good

THAT!!! IS exactly why sanitation should not be taken lightly. Oxyclean, bleach, white vinegar, Potassium Metabisulphite, whatever. Steralize everything.... yuck...

Hard to believe it got that bad after just 8 days. Looks to me like maybe you used the old yeast packet, too? Those yeast were dead so they did not colonize the must and wipe out the mold.

Likewise, any k meta or other sanitizing chemicals in that kit would have been long depleted after 5 years. So even if you followed directions and put it in your must, there was nothing happening.

Still, the fact it was that moldy in 8 days would make me wonder whether I wanted to make wine in that environment without some remediation of the mold spore content in the air. There are portable UV air filtration units you can get for about $200 that will kill a lot of those spores over time.

Latest posts

Back