Mad or Ingenius?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macabre222

Junior
Reaction score
Ok here goes. as far as fining the wine, would it be possible to use ionic propulsion??, I mean it negatively charges the air and surrounding particles on one end then pulls them to the positive end to create thrust. so if you took apart say a bladeless fan and arranged the plates on the top and bottom of your vessel, could it pull the haziness right to the bottom? or even build one of those alluminium/copper wire flyers like back in the day when we would tear open old monitors lol.

What kind of wine are you trying to clear?

Basically, adding fining agents work similarly to what you're saying. Since proteins are positively charged, fining agents that provide a negative charge will act to agglomerate and form larger complexes that then fall out. Fining wine is more like clarifying water during water treatment, which I'm more familiar with than what you're talking about.

There are a number of techniques that can work to encourage a wine to clear--very often an addition of pectic enzyme will work very well. Sometimes you're wine will be too cold and that will interfere with clearing.

Ok here goes. as far as fining the wine, would it be possible to use ionic propulsion??, I mean it negatively charges the air and surrounding particles on one end then pulls them to the positive end to create thrust. so if you took apart say a bladeless fan and arranged the plates on the top and bottom of your vessel, could it pull the haziness right to the bottom? or even build one of those alluminium/copper wire flyers like back in the day when we would tear open old monitors lol.

Mad and ingenious aren't mutually exclusive.

If I have understood your proposal correctly, you are suggesting placing the wine between two plates of opposite electrical polarity. I believe this will NOT work for fining your wine. The reason is a phenomenon called the electrical double layer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_layer_(interfacial)). Essentially, when you turn on the voltage, there WILL be a momentary migration of positive ions towards your negative plate, and negative ions towards your positive plate. However, this charge rearrangement will serve to screen out the electrical field; once this rearrangement takes place, the rest of the liquid will no longer "feel" the electric field, and no more migration will take place. The amount of ions needed to screen out the charge on the plate is very small, so very little fining will take place.

Ah

I see what your saying now, it would be as if sediment collects on bottom and on top, with an area near the center of the tank unable to move. Had to ask though, have recently got into wine making as a hobby and plan on making changes to some of the ways things are done. with alot of spare time and the worlds knowledge , anything can happen :)

Latest posts

Back