Lucas Tug Boat Red?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud

Unfunny
Reaction score
A buddy offered to buy a kit or juice as needed if I could make something like Lucas Vineyards Tugboat Red and split the product with him. I have zero experience with grape wines and wouldn't know where to begin as far as identifying grape type. Anybody have any suggestions?

I can't help you @ grapes. BUTT, I love Lucas's Tug Boat Red when I can get it. Problem is they don't ship to NJ.
Call them up and find out what grape they use

Im just the opposite as I can help with the grapes but have never heard of that wine.

From their web-site.
Ruby Red and velvety smooth. This semi-dry is our most popular wine. It can be served chilled with burgers and pizza. Tug Boat Red Rules!

A semi-dry red from the Cayuga Lake region of NY. Could not see any info about the grapes used or oaking. But it does say 3% residual sugar.

Try sweetening a dry red for your friend and see what he thinks. Possibly he just doesn't like dry reds.

Steve

Good idea, gents. I am going to call them tomorrow. And yeah, if they'll tell me what it is I'll try Walker's.

That's not to say I can make a clone or anything but having the correct juice would be a good place to start.

Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to find out exatly what varietals are used in this blend.

Knowing lake cayuga, My guess is that it may be a blend of chamborcan [sic].

Didn't get to call today. Forgot it was the first day at a new job. :slp How do you forget something like that? Fortunately I remembered this morning, so all is well.

I did email, though. This was their response:
I am glad you enjoyed our Tug Boat Red. It is a proprietary blend.
We don't give specific varietal details but it usually includes many hybrid
grapes including but not limited to DeChaunac, GR7, Corot Noir, Noiret, Baco
Noir,Catawba, and occasionally others. Thanks, I hope that answers your
question.

Next phase of the plan is to mail Wade a bottle. Don't laugh, Wade. It'll get there someday. For real this time. :h

Finding this wine locally was not easy. (read: impossible) Then a new wine & liquor store opened near here and they stock it! So I have 2 bottles. There will be one in the mail Monday, Wade.

If you live close to the NY line you may want to see if they (stores in NY) carry it. The only way we got it was to have them ship it to someone in NY or VT. Then I have a long wait till I see those folks.

Sure enough, Tom. Found it in NY. Can a store that stocks it ship directly to you? Some states allow alcohol to shipped in as long as their is an adult to sign for it. I'd be happy to arrange something if that would help.

Thanks but they cant ship from NY to NJ
Enjoy the Tug Boat we liked it

I think John was 60% right but I can taste a strong foxiness in there also which is a tell tale story of concord. I think I sense another delivery this year from Walkers Fruit basket!!!!

I wonder if Walker's could have recommend a mix...Oh well. I'm willing to give it a go with chamborcan and concord. Gotta get all my ducks in a row and then will post up some progress notes. Might be a while is all.

-slow Mud

Latest posts

Back