WineXpert LR Aussie Grenache Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to tell at this point, with all the solids in there. But I think it isn't going to be light pink.

I'm curious too. Photo? Although it will obviously look darker in the carboy than in a bottle or glass.
I hope to pitch mine later this week, or early next...

I think I will rack and stabilize tonight (the instructions tell you to wait 10 days but mine dropped to 0.996 fast from 1.020, just in a day). It was 0.996 in the weekend.

I will take a picture tonight.

I think I will rack and stabilize tonight (the instructions tell you to wait 10 days but mine dropped to 0.996 fast from 1.020, just in a day). It was 0.996 in the weekend.

I will take a picture tonight.

Why rush it? As long as you're topped up, there is minimal risk, and much to gain by 10-14 days in secondary. I racked mine at 0.993, but was still getting some activity yesterday.

I'd describe mine as more translucent than Dragon Blood, though a slightly deeper red. So, lighter - but darker. :d

Not trying to rush it but right now it is sitting in another 6gal bucket with air lock, but has head space....

Oh, I guess I'm confused by the "stabilize" comment. I take that to mean adding Meta, sorbate and clearing agents, rather than letting the fermentation run it's course before adding all that stuff.

I would certainly move it to a carboy at this point, but as long as it is topped up, I'd let it go, per the directions.

I see that I was not clear and my comments are confusing....:D

What I meant is that I first racked at 0.996 (it went dry too fast) into another 6gal bucket which obviously would leave a big head space on top, this is because I don't have an empty carboy right now. So yes I meant adding kmeta and sorbate and f-pack.

I think I have a plastic BB 5gal container, that may be an option, otherwise I'd stabilize as is now, SG should be very dry now...

yup, doing that tonight after adding chems and f-pack. I took an SG reading this morning and it was just around ~0.992

Finally pitched this yesterday (using Rhone 4600). The color was quite a bit darker than I expected, though I expect it will lighten up considerably during clearing. I decided to not add any of the f-pack up front since 71B is one of those yeasts that metabolizes ~30% of the malic acid (and Rhone 4600 does not). I'm excited about this one. I do wish WE had released it earlier in the year so it'd be in its prime come summer.

The fermentation closet (and whole back bedroom) is filled with a gorgeous and pronounced strawberry aroma today!

Finally pitched this yesterday (using Rhone 4600). The color was quite a bit darker than I expected, though I expect it will lighten up considerably during clearing. I decided to not add any of the f-pack up front since 71B is one of those yeasts that metabolizes ~30% of the malic acid (and Rhone 4600 does not). I'm excited about this one. I do wish WE had released it earlier in the year so it'd be in its prime come summer.

The fermentation closet (and whole back bedroom) is filled with a gorgeous and pronounced strawberry aroma today!

Good to hear. I used about half the f-pac in primary. Stabilized and added the Isinglass yesterday, after about 16 days in secondary. Beautiful strawberry aromas and taste, with a very subtle hint of citrus. I tasted it before adding the remainder of the f-pac and was a little hesitant to add it. Even at 0.992, it was very good. Hopefully, I'll be enjoying this one on the beach in July!

I do wish WE had released it earlier in the year so it'd be in its prime come summer.

I think someone actually asked about this once, and the response was that production of the LE kits prevents them from making the kits any earlier. I think you'll find that it's fairly drinkable by the time the summer heat takes hold.

Stabilized and clarified last night. After only 11 days in secondary this was incredibly clear, moreso than any other kit wine I've made at this stage (though I added the isinglass regardless as I'm eager to get this in bottles). It tasted lovely at 0.994, but I added the full F-pack regardless and I think it'll be okay at only 1.002. The small sample I took after adding the reserve seems to have enough acidity to balance it for my tastes.

If I decide I need another rose before WE releases their LE next spring, I'll probably try their White Merlot and add the full F-pack up front. On a related note, I tried the new vintage of Charles & Charles Rose which is a dry rose from Washington and it is solid as usual and a bargain at $9.

Bring on the heat and let's drink some pink wine!

The local wine shop just recently set up their big rose display. Hard to believe it is just about mid-May already.

Latest posts

Back