WineXpert LR Aussie Grenache Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too! I may start it tonight. I'll be bottling the Torrontes this weekend, so I'll have a free Carboy. This is the first wine I'll be doing that has an f-pack. Depending on the SG at the start, I may put part of the F-pack in primary. What do people do with the remainder in these situations - close it back up and throw it in the fridge?

I heard people doing that; when I do mine I plan to use it all per instructions; but not sure yet.
I will check the package content tonight and maybe get it going this weekend.

71b yeast too! :db

can you believe I opened the box last night and looked at the clear package containing the yeast and chems but didn't even come to mind to check what yeast it came with.............:ft

can you believe I opened the box last night and looked at the clear package containing the yeast and chems but didn't even come to mind to check what yeast it came with.............:ft

That's OK. I opened the box and the ONLY thing I looked at was the yeast. :)

Ha, same here. I was planning on using Rhone 4600, but 71B is at least an appropriate yeast. I won't be pitching this for a couple weeks so I have time to decide. Anyone who's dealt with F-packs before care to share their impressions on how big or small this one is? "Barely off-dry" is the description...sounds like I could handle that but I'd consider adding 1/2 up front...

Anyone who's dealt with F-packs before care to share their impressions on how big or small this one is? "Barely off-dry" is the description...sounds like I could handle that but I'd consider adding 1/2 up front...

I'm considering doing the same. I think it'll come down to what the SG is. I'm headed to the lab now to bottle my Torrontes and will be kicking this one off once I'm finished. I'll post up my results later.

What's your goal of adding half of the f-pack in primary?
I think that will make it less "sweet" at the end. I personally would like this wine to be a bit sweet, not too dry.

Mine was a disappointing 1.080. The f-pack is small - two cups at most. I added some sugar and 1/3-1/2 of the pack. Got my SG to 1.084. Hopefully, I can get it down to 0.996 or lower.

Varis: "barely off dry" is about as sweet as I want this one. So despite the small f-pack, I'm not too worried about it being too dry. Worst case, I'll add some simple syrup to it at the end.

Mine was a disappointing 1.080. The f-pack is small - two cups at most. I added some sugar and 1/3-1/2 of the pack. Got my SG to 1.084. Hopefully, I can get it down to 0.996 or lower.

Varis: "barely off dry" is about as sweet as I want this one. So despite the small f-pack, I'm not too worried about it being too dry. Worst case, I'll add some simple syrup to it at the end.

I don't think ~1.08 is all that disappointing considering the style of wine, but I think it could handle a little more alcohol flavor wise. I did the French rose last year, and if I remember correctly, I was able to get it to ferment down to 0.992...I'd have to check my notes, though. I think dry or slightly sweet rose style wines are better than overly sweet ones.

Thanks Chemist. I don't want too high an ABV, but was hoping for 12%. Should be between 11.5 and 12.5. My taste is similar to yours, I don't want sweetness like a White Zin, but a very subtle hint of sweet would be just fine.

Jim,

mine measured ~1.076 last night. I didn't add anything from the f-pack; will leave for later when stabilizing.

Measured 1.042 last night (down from 1.074 the night before). At this pace, I'll rack to secondary tonight, or certainly by tomorrow. It's been a very clean ferment so far and smells great. This is my first ferment with 71-b. I like it so far.

Measured 1.042 last night (down from 1.074 the night before). At this pace, I'll rack to secondary tonight, or certainly by tomorrow. It's been a very clean ferment so far and smells great. This is my first ferment with 71-b. I like it so far.

Grenache can make some tasty rose style wines, so I'm betting that this one will be good!

I haven't check the SG on mine....need to check later today, instructions say to rack at 1.010 or less...

Mine dropped from 1.020 Thursday evening to 0.996 yesterday evening (while still in primary).
Racked to another 6gal pail and added air lock and moved to cool temp room in basement but I don't think this will drop much more than that. I did see however a couple tiny bubbles coming up so maybe it will drop a bit more.

Jim, how is your going?

Just finished racking to a carboy, actually. Life got in the way, so I didn't do it Thursday as planned. It's at 0.993, and still bubbling ever so slightly.

Latest posts

Back