Mosti Mondiale Low SG on MM Reisling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarer

Junior
Reaction score
This is my first white wine and my first all juice kit, I have made several Wine Expert 10L reds with no problems. Not even sure if this is a problem...Anyway I started an MM all juice Reisling 10 days ago and the air lock has been bubbling nicely and still is...However, my specific gravity is only at 1.03 which seems very high after 9 days. I have checked my hydrometer in water and I am using a brew belt which is keeping a nice 77 or so degrees on the bucket. So my question is do I rack to start secondary fermentation or do I wait a little longer for the SG to drop and is this unusual for a white wine. By the way it smells absolutely fantastic..... Edited by: bbarer

Rack it over using the new instructions. This would include stirring the wine up BEFOREracking, then doing a splash racking to add a little oxygen. Be sure to transfer everything to make sure there is plenty of food for the yeast to continue. If your kit contained some nutrients, add them at this time.

If you have any questions, please call me at the store and I can walk you through the steps.

In addition, save the date code so if we can't get the fermentation completed, we can get Mosti to replace it.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will give it a shot and keep you informed..what I do find a little odd is that it still seems to be very actively fermenting. Regular bubbling in the airlock and when I open the lid it is bubbling similar to a glass of soda as soon as its poured, lots of little bubbles....

It sounds like you probably got off to a slow start, but fermentation is still active. Racking at this time will most likely, do the trick.

Ok, now I am starting to worry, day 13 and no change in SG still at around 1.03. I stirred it up and I splash racked it last Thursday as you suggested (actually had some liquid left over as it was a little more than 6 gallons butI did transfer all the solids), my kit did not come with a nutrient packet so none was added. The temp is a little lower now around 72 as I am no longer using the brew belt. Still seems very active as the airlock is bubbling. It also appears to be highly carbonated like a bottle of soda as when I used the thief this morning to take a sample and it foamed right up (haven't seen that in the reds I have made)... Also my directions say to do the first rack at 1.02 not 1.04 as I think is mentioned in the newsletter directions. The lot number of this kit is 71113. Let me know what you think, still smells great though I have to say.... Edited by: bbarer

Whites behave a bit different than reds and it is perfectly normal for them to appear fizzy. If it is bubbling and fizzing than it is still progressing. Have patience and it will most likely keep moving alright.

bbarer, be sure to spin the hygrometer when you test for sg. Any bubbles that are attached to it will throw off the reading to the high side. The attached bubbles make the hygrometer lighter, which makes the reading higher.

Thanks Peter, I do spin it and even bob it up and down just in case. This is only my third kit, but acting very different from mthe 2 red Wine Expert kits I made. My biggest worry is the SG not moving in 4 days even though it still appears to be actively fermenting. I know, I know Patience is the key to good wine making......

One more thing. Have you calebrated your hydrometer? Do this by floating the hydrometer in plain water. You should get a reading of 1.000. These hydrometers are not of the highest quality and occassionally get out of whack.

Yes I did check it in water and it reads within .005 (or thereabouts)of 1 repeatedly. I also checked a red I have bulk aging it it read correctly. Very strange as I have not been able to find this problem anywhere else. It seems that if its still fermenting then the SG should be dropping. There is no question the wine is still active. All I can think of is it possible the sugar content is low? Would adding sugar make a differance? Edited by: bbarer

Don't add sugar. That will raise the SG and make it a worse situation. If you have active bubbles, you have active fermentation. Let it go it's course. You are past the quicker aerobic fermentation and into more of an anaerobic fermentation. That is generally slower. Some wines will take a month or more to ferment dry, while others will be done in a week to 10 days. Hang tough and let it run it's course.

I got it, I am going to move this one aside and start something new to keep my mind occupied...now should I try beer or another wine.......

Joseph and I think you may have a stuck fermentation. If you have a spare packet of yeast, please use the following procedure to see if you can get the fermenation started again:

1. <LI>Clean and sanititize a container that will hold at least 24% of your wine, i.e., if you are making wine in a 6-gallon carboy, then you need a container that will hold 1-1/2 gallons.
    <LI>Clean and sanitize a measuring cup and a spoon. The measuring cup needs to be large enough to hold at least 1 cup of liquid.
    <LI>Fill the measuring cup with 1/2 cup of hot water (104°-109°) and stir in one packet of yeast.
    <LI>When the yeast mixture is bubbling, normally about 15 minutes, the fermentation has begun, add 1/2 cup of your wine to the fermenting mixture and stir.
    <LI>When the yeast mixture has starting bubbling again in another 15 minutes, pour the mixture into the large container that you sanitized in Step 1, add 1 cup of you wine and stir.
    <LI>Now that you have a fermenting mixture in your container, keep doubling the quantity every time the rapid fermentation appears (bubbling), until you have about 25% of your wine fermenting.
    <LI>Pour the 25% of you wine into the 75% remaining and the whole batch should start fermenting and your wine will be saved. </LI>

An excellent yeast for this procedure is the LavLin EC-1118. If you make much wine, you should always have an extra packet of this yeast in your refrigerator.

If you need a packet of yeast, let me know and I will send you one.

Makes sense to me, I do not have any yeast, no need to send any as I can get some locally at a beer and wine hobby store nearby, I will try and pick some up on the way home tonight and give it a shot. I will also update my progress, thanks for all the help so far...

Went to the wine making store last night to get the yeast, the guy there told me essentially the same thing, he said splash rack and then add nutrients first, if that doesn't show progress within 24 hours then use the yeast to reactivate....Thanks for all the help guys I added the nutrients (Fermaid K) last night and will keep you informed.....

All of the above sounds very much like my orange pineapple apple wine which I am making from scratch. Active fermentation but slowly dropping sg. I am still patiently waiting and the sg is dropping slow but sure.
smiley20.gif

Yahoooo!!!! finally some movement..Day 14 and I am now at about 1.025!!!!! I checked it 10 times definately moving down!!!!!! So I tried adding nutrient first as was originally suggested as when I went to the wine store to get yeast they sold me some Fermaid to try before going through the whole refermentation deal. After 24 hours the SG has definately moved but I have to admit it doesn't seem any more active than before. Still slowly bubbling in the airlock. Ok so what have I learned is the most important thing about wine making....PATIENCE, PATIENCE and listen to those in this forum. Also there is no better service I have come across than George's. thanks George and to everyone else that offered support.

Now what to start next.....
smiley20.gif

Glad to see the s.g. dropping. Keep us informed.

Always happy to help.

Latest posts

Back