Lotsa fluffy lees

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
Transferred this apple wine from the primary to secondary.

I wanted to try something different, so I didn't use any bag (normally I use a tide laundry bag) in the primary for the fruit.

This resulted in a lot of fluffy lees.

I have not degassed yet, but it's ready. Any suggestions on getting the most out of this? I'm thinking of just straining everything through my tide laundry bag, but wanted to check here first with any suggestions.

I have another 3L that is even worse than this one. It's over 1/2 fluffy lees.

Thoughts? Comments?

(trying to post a pic)

Last edited:
Transferred this apple wine from the primary to secondary.

I wanted to try something different, so I didn't use my normal fruit bag (a tide laundry bag). I didn't use any bag.

This resulted in a lot of fluffy lees.

I have not degassed yet, but it's ready. Any suggestions on getting the most out of this? I'm thinking of just straining everything through my tide laundry bag, but wanted to check here first with any suggestions.

I have another 3L that is even worse than this one. It's over 1/2 fluffy lees.

Thoughts? Comments?

(trying to post a pic)

ok..lets see if this pic works. The lees are the bottom 5" of the bottle. It looks like a light distortion, but it's really the lees.

wine.jpg

Transfer out the wine. Put all the lees and it's trapped wine in another bucket. Snap on a lid then unsnap one clasp. Turn upright and rest in another bucket. The wine will seep out leaving lees behind. Add a pinch of sulfite as soon as it starts. It should be done in about a half hour.

It could be the yeast you used that did this. Different yeasts floculate differently.

Sulfite ( potassium metabisulfite ) clings to oxygen molecules to slow oxidation of your wine. It also stuns wild yeast giving your commercial yeast a chance to start.

Check out the Wikipedia on our home page for definitions of terms.

Latest posts

Back