Looks like I wasted a small fortune on winemaking gear!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I browsed the Brewsy site and searched for reviews, and also looked for corporate information. It appears to be an LLC registered in New Orleans, LA in October 2020. They have leveraged social media and a lot of sites (paid shills?) are advertising them.

This review in entertaining -- I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read the following, else my laptop would be wearing it.

The Punch. Right off the bat, I knew the punch was going to be rough, just from how it smelled. When I poured it into a glass, it reeked of what seemed to be Hawaiian Punch and literal shit. As for the taste, it wasn’t quite as bad as it smelled, but it wasn’t much better — it was like a really bad punch you’d find spiked at a party for college kids. I cannot recommend this any less.

One thing jumped out at me -- the "wine" ferments to 15% ABV in 3 days, then it's refrigerated. What is in the "Brewsy Pack" that produces that rate of fermentation? I'm going to keep watching for news to see if Brewsy buyers start glowing in the dark or sprouting tentacles.

There is a return policy for unopened boxes, but no returns if the box is opened. Which makes perfect sense, as even a 5% return rate would bankrupt them.

I don't expect the company to last more than a year. Folks that want instant hooch may be happy with it, but anyone expecting even a $10 bottle equivalent from it will be sadly disappointed. It will be a one-and-done for most buyers.

OTOH, I expect the owners will make a fair amount of money in that year.

I wonder if the yeast and nutrients included are what are called "turbo" yeasts. Those packages are used by those who brew beer and make wine as raw material for another process about which we cannot speak on this forum, and those "turbo" yeasts are said to ferment brut dry in a couple or three days but then those that use them carbon filter their "wash" or "mash" to remove all the off flavors that that yeast produce, and presumably, all the flavors, too.

I have let some of my tomatoes get drippy ripe on the vine before and they fermented a bit, so yah...there is always that.

Wow, what an interesting and welcoming thread. I’m a little surprised to read this here to be honest.

Brewsy is a great option for those with no background in wine making. It’s not going to win awards, but I got a box for Christmas and I enjoyed the process. I had a lot of fun with my wife making a few gallons of wine and honestly didn’t taste terrible at all. Not sure what happened to the other persons wine.

Would I recommend it existing wine makers? No, of course not. Is it a great introduction to wine making? Obviously.

That kit turned me into wine making, and now I have invested a few hundred into proper equipment and have just moved my first batch into the secondary a few days ago. You should take the opportunity to grow your community and hobby by welcoming people who come asking questions.

As for the ‘is it gluten free’ comments, I am gluten intolerant and am sure as hell not eating anything or dumping mystery powders (brewsy bags) into my drinks without vetting their ingredients first. If you know what the consequences are of injecting gluten are, then you get it, if not, like is miserable. My body breaks out in terribly itchy rashes and it’s so bad I can’t even sleep. Gluten makes its way into many things, hell even meat. The boneless chicken at the store used to have a broth injected to make them look plumper. The broth itself contained a small amount of flour.

There is a return policy for unopened boxes, but no returns if the box is opened. Which makes perfect sense, as even a 5% return rate would bankrupt them.

OTOH, I expect the owners will make a fair amount of money in that year.

Not sure about that part ;)! Given pricing and what you get, I'm thinking they have a monstrous margin in there!

I remember when I was in college. Alcohol could be pretty hard to come by sometimes if you were under 21. I'm pretty sure I would have tried it.

My mother (being half German, half Norwegian, second generation in America on both sides) made a very similar bread Yula Kaka was the name she always said. I probably am spelling it incorrectly, I see there are recipes out there for julekake. Maybe I need to try some.
Hey, Craig. You mentioned in a previous post a week or two that you were born in Montana. What part? I lived in Montana for 28 years, raised my family there and my wife is a 5th generation Montanan. We still own a home there and a cabin.

Wow, what an interesting and welcoming thread. I’m a little surprised to read this here to be honest.

Brewsy is a great option for those with no background in wine making. It’s not going to win awards, but I got a box for Christmas and I enjoyed the process. I had a lot of fun with my wife making a few gallons of wine and honestly didn’t taste terrible at all. Not sure what happened to the other persons wine.

Would I recommend it existing wine makers? No, of course not. Is it a great introduction to wine making? Obviously.

That kit turned me into wine making, and now I have invested a few hundred into proper equipment and have just moved my first batch into the secondary a few days ago. You should take the opportunity to grow your community and hobby by welcoming people who come asking questions.

As for the ‘is it gluten free’ comments, I am gluten intolerant and am sure as hell not eating anything or dumping mystery powders (brewsy bags) into my drinks without vetting their ingredients first. If you know what the consequences are of injecting gluten are, then you get it, if not, like is miserable. My body breaks out in terribly itchy rashes and it’s so bad I can’t even sleep. Gluten makes its way into many things, hell even meat. The boneless chicken at the store used to have a broth injected to make them look plumper. The broth itself contained a small amount of flour.
This site is very welcoming and none of the comments made were toward the people buying the kit, rather the company selling the kit. The claims they make, like “in just a few days, turn any juice into delicious wine or cider.” sets an expectation that will only lead to $49 worth of disappointment.
We hope some of them get the wine bug, gravitate to forums like this, with very welcoming and helpful people that will give them good advice and realistic expectations.

Hi there Labelle! I am new to winemaking (have my 1st 3 batches in process). This community has been nothing short of amazing in welcoming new people who come asking questions. I have felt welcome since joining a month ago. If you don't mind me saying, these people are fantastic to new people and have a wealth of information that they share freely. Someday, I hope to be as helpful as they are.

This site is very welcoming and none of the comments made were toward the people buying the kit, rather the company selling the kit. The claims they make, like “in just a few days, turn any juice into delicious wine or cider.” sets an expectation that will only lead to $49 worth of disappointment.
We hope some of them get the wine bug, gravitate to forums like this, with very welcoming and helpful people that will give them good advice and realistic expectations.
That's right, @NorCal - hear, hear...

1st post and comin in hot! lol

Welcome to WMT. what type of wine are you making?

It would be great if Brewsy brought more people into our hobby. As others have expressed, my concern is for the numbers of people who will be disappointed in the result. Anyone who buys it and likes the result? Cool!

This is the friendliest forum I have ever visited. Newbies are treated well, and no question -- no matter how many times it's already been answered -- is ignored.

BTW, I sent the link to my son. His reply: Oh dear god no
😂

Hey, Craig. You mentioned in a previous post a week or two that you were born in Montana. What part? I lived in Montana for 28 years, raised my family there and my wife is a 5th generation Montanan. We still own a home there and a cabin.
Pm sent, no need to jump that far off track in this thread.

Some people learn 3 chords and are content with knowing 1 or 2 songs. Some learn 3 chords then are determined to become a virtuoso. I’m all for a simplified version of winemaking marketed to normies.
Will surely be an on-ramp to the hobby for many. Because any winemaking question typed into google usually directs you here.

But am i the only slightly irked at the name? You brew beer. And coffee.
NOT wine!

"we blended together six previously inaccessible winemaking ingredients to make each magical brewsy bag."

There are some gems on the Brewsy website. They do list the 6 magic ingredients:

"Amazing" yeast
Organic Micronutrients (sounds like Go-Ferm + Fermaid O)
Bentonite
Pectic Enzyme
KBicarb (this is an odd one)
Malolactic culture

So I don't object to the ingredients, just the breathless, exaggerated, over-hyped nature of the marketing. Just me, but these seem like pretty normal wine making ingredients. Looks like about $3 worth or less. Notably absent is any sulfite. So you should make this and drink it quick. What's odd to me about this is the Malolactic culture. That fermentation takes awhile and so including it wine you're supposed to drink in 5 days is odd, especially if you don't know if you juice even contains any Malic acid.

"we blended together six previously inaccessible winemaking ingredients to make each magical brewsy bag."

There are some gems on the Brewsy website. They do list the 6 magic ingredients:

"Amazing" yeast
Organic Micronutrients (sounds like Go-Ferm + Fermaid O)
Bentonite
Pectic Enzyme
KBicarb (this is an odd one)
Malolactic culture

So I don't object to the ingredients, just the breathless, exaggerated, over-hyped nature of the marketing. Just me, but these seem like pretty normal wine making ingredients. Looks like about $3 worth or less. Notably absent is any sulfite. So you should make this and drink it quick. What's odd to me about this is the Malolactic culture. That fermentation takes awhile and so including it wine you're supposed to drink in 5 days is odd, especially if you don't know if you juice even contains any Malic acid.

Sounds like they are trying to use a lot of buzzwords that will attrack someone who's done just a little bit of reading on wine making.

And I agree the Name is incongruous with wine fermentation.

Latest posts

Back