looking for juice any suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewaz

Reaction score
I'm in upstate NY, and my local brew shop charges alot for their juice... I'm looking for other options for reasonably priced juice. I've searched the net without much luck...

any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wine juice

Walker's wine juice Fredonia NY . They have over 40 different types of grape and fruit juices , both fresh by the gallon right into your carboy or hot packed in 5 gallon containers , which are able to be shipped. I was just there yesterday , 5 gallons blackberry,5 gallons blueberry hp ,5 gallon late harvest concord hp ( ice wine). $191 all three. walkersfruitbasket.com

Last edited:
What are you trying to make? Red, White or fruit wine?

Maybe I am missing something here but I do know that the Island Mist kits are pretty good. they make six gallons and can usually be found around 45 to 60 bucks.

Dave there are a lot of options out there. As mentioned above you have Walkers, our sponsers have a lot of kits or you can go to the grocery store and get some Welches. I would start looking real hard and asking your supplier where you can order some Chilean juices as they will be arriving in about 7 weeks and cost less then $50 for a 6 gallon pail. Keep us posted on what you decided.

Thanks Russ, I'll check that place out. I am looking for Juice (not a kit) to make red wine with. Running Wolf, my local brew shop is getting the Chilean Fresco juice in, but he is charging $115 for 6 gallons. Seems like he knows he's the only one in town with fresh juice.

Running Wolf, my local brew shop is getting the Chilean Fresco juice in, but he is charging $115 for 6 gallons. Seems like he knows he's the only one in town with fresh juice.

I would start checking other places out of town. I'm going out of state and traveling 100 miles to get mine because of a better selection and they're arriving several weeks earlier. I am not sure who is up your way as far as members go but maybe someone else can steer you some place else not too awfully far.

Running Wolf, my local brew shop is getting the Chilean Fresco juice in, but he is charging $115 for 6 gallons.
I'm not questioning your decision but when considering purchase price, be sure to consider shipping cost when ordering online. This can be as much as $20-30/pail depending on distance. Also, you need to make sure you're comparing quality of the grapes/must from each source. I have paid well over $115 per pail for juice/grapes that were from well respected vineyards. Your LBS is the guy you want to still be in business when you need that last minute item you forgot to order, so unless you think he's really sticking it to you on the price you may want to reconsider your decision to order from afar.

Fred

Fred I will make the drive to pick it up. The less than 2 hour drive is well worth it to me as the place is a very nice winery and they are the main distributor of the juice for smaller dealers within several hundred miles. I toured the place last month and his cooler alone can hold over 20 tractor trailer's of juice. Plus they have an awesome restaurant. So taking all things in consideration; a road trip, good food, selection and the fact I have the time on my hands to do it right now makes it all worth while. I did hear of folks I think in the Detroit are getting the same juice from this resource for about $15 more.
http://www.luvabella.com/

Russ, your juice shop is 5 hours away, so back to square one.... I'd be happy to pay $20 or $30 dollars shipping for a bucket that costs $50. That's still a savings of $35 a bucket compared to my local brew shop. I actually really dislike this home brew shop, the prices are ridiculous. Luckily there is another one a few minutes further away with a better selection and prices, but they only deal in kits.

The reason I want juice and not a kit is because I'm a few hours from the fingerlakes and I plan on buying and making alot of wine in the fall, but I want to do a run before that so I have more experience prior to making a large investment.

Man I wish I lived out in cali or the north east. How do you go about finding fresh juices. I don't think my 2 brew shops in houston sell anything other than kits. Is it worth trying to email some local wineries??

I buy Regina juices. You could visit their website and see if there is a local produce warehouse that carries them. Google wine juices in your area see what pops up. Even try chile juices.

The reason I want juice and not a kit is because I'm a few hours from the fingerlakes and I plan on buying and making alot of wine in the fall.

Dave that was the next question I was going to ask you about (finger Lakes). There are at least two major wineries that sell juice up there. I know this year I will be getting what Chilean and California juices I can and then juice native to the area locally. A lot of juices like Rieslings, Gewürztraminer and some reds I can buy cheaper in pails from California and Chile then I can get it for locally from the wineries.

Russ thanks a ton, they have prices listed right on the site. Not sure what hot packing means, but I'm definetly gonna consider these guys. Thanks!!!

Hot Packing

they (can) or process they juicethe same as you would can vegatables to keep for long periods of time , you can take these home and start them when you want to they will not start working till you add the yeast . they are processed using heat not chemicals.

Russ, have you had them ship to you before? I would need it to go from there to the Albany NY area... Just wondering if you had any pricing guess on what that would be.

Anyways thanks for the help I will be giving them a ring tomorow!

Did you find out what shipping cost are? I'm about 21/2 to 3 hours away from Walker's but its a way to spend a Saturday . Get some juice and then antique shops on the way home , perfect winter time Saturday.

Back