Mosti Mondiale Long time listener, first time caller

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At this point yea, use the spigot and transfer as much as you can get into primary. Like Wade said, fill as much of the headspace as you can until its really time to rack (which is not now!)

I agree with the above posts. I was always carefull to leave all of the lees behind in the beginning and was losing too much must and always adding water or wine to top up.

I had an SG reading of .998 two days in a row, so I made the decision to transfer from the primary bucket to the carbouy, added the potassium metabisulfate packet, and the siligel and liquigel. I whipped it pretty good 3 different times with the mix stir as I added the various items, and hit it with the Vacu-vin. It is sitting in the same roomthat the primary and secondary fermentation took place, which I think isa little too warm for clarifying.It is about consistently 72-73. I am thinking of moving it to thebasement to finish. How long do you recommend leavingit? Just until it is clear?
This is a total learning experience, of course, being the first run. I think things are ok, but I won't know for sure until it is time to pour the first glass. If the smells are any indication, I think it is coming along well. What should I look for when it is time to have that first glass that will tell me where I screwed up in the process like moving to thecarbouy too soon and not allowingfor proper stabilization, allowed too much oxygen in, etc.?

Thank you everyone for the advice and suggestions. I bottled two nights ago, and ended up with 31 bottles.I was not prepared and only had 30 corks! It took me a little bit to figure out what to do with that last open bottle :). I ended up leaving the wine to clear for 11 days before bottling, and am quite satisfied with how it finished.

I am happy with the taste of the Castel del Papa eventhis young, and have high expectations forwhen it matures. It does seem to be a little on the thin side, but overall a good wine.

I added 1/4tsp of k-meta along with the sorbate when I racked from the carboy to the primary bucket to bottle. Iplan on letting it age until about Christmas time, and then unwrap my gifts.

Thanks again!!!

mdktkd, yes, I thought maybe you were from MD.
smiley36.gif

:)

my user name stands for the Korean style of martial arts I pratice: moodukkwan taekwondo.

I bet MD is nice this time of year. The humidity hasn't hityet, has it?

Very interesting name.
Yes, it is beautiful in MD now.HOT and HUMID!! hahaGlad I live in AZ.
smiley36.gif

AND in Central California - about 93 today - glad we have a pool. Work gets done early in am so i can stay in the cool room and play with the wine or in the house on the computer. Hummmmmmmmmmmmm - maybe i will take my laptop to the cool room - then i will have it both!!! Gotta go to vineyard tomarrow at first light - have to trim, clip canopy between rows so we can get the tractor through. When the rows start 'holding hands' it's time to prune/cut the canes back.

rrawhide

Latest posts

Back