Local Winerys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I see that there isis a very diverse group on the forum from all over the country..How many of you spend time looking at local winerys?
My wife and I are on a missionto see as many as we can in Texas...At last count we found 80+ winerys
smiley32.gif
. We have a lot of work (tasting) to do!

I live fairly close to some wineries in Augusta and Hermann Missouri. I enjoy going to them from time to time. I have yet to go to a winery since becoming a winemaker, so my next trip will probably be the best yet.

We have visited some in RI and CT that are close by and try to visit wineries on vacation when we travel to a new place.

There are tons of wineries here in Ohio, especially up in the Northeast near Lake Erie. We are planning a trip in April to visit some of the wineries up there. We have been to almost all of the local wineries in Cincinnati and took a tour of 9 wineries in Kentucky last year. I have to say I haven't been dissappointed yet!

We visited quite a few wineries when we were in Napa Valley a few years ago. Don't know of any close to us except one about 200 miles away to the southwest.

Guess there is about 17 wineries in Minnesota, most being in the Southern part of the state.

There is a winery about 25 miles away from us...have been there a few times...They also have a vineyard, or they did have before this winter blew in.

There was another about 50 miles away...they did fruit wines and haven't heard much about them lately....they are no longer listed in the MN Grape Growers Assn.

Another is about 80 miles away, just across the border into North Dakota...They are a Ferment on Premissis/Winery...they are closing soon due to a state law that says 10 or 20% of the juice must be grown within that state.

A rather large vineyard has been planted about 10 miles away....wonder what their survival rate will be this winter...not sure of their plans as to a winery.

Do you count your friends kitchens...? Many, many home 'wineries' in the area...didn't realize how many people around here make their own wines in their homes...it is quite a budding hobby....Love it!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Every summer there is a WINE FEST in the Poconos, Split Rock. I'm not sure how many winery's participate, but there are quit a few. We take a small bus with our friends. Great food, music and so many free samples.

Only 35 minutes away, but the bus is necessary.

jerry

NW, I just did a quick google search and discovered there is a winery between Walker & Bemidji called Forestedge and they do wines from MN fruits (chokecherry, rhubarb, raspberry,strawberry, blueberry, cranberry, plum and black currants). Supposedly Cashwise & Westside, and other outlets around the state, carry their wines, though I was just at Cashwise today and didn't happen to see them... wasn't looking though. They are closed from January through April - maybe come summer a visit could be in order...

I was suprised that this part of Texas (Coastal South) is not very good for growing grapes. The winerys close to us,just have most of the grapes shipped in from out of state or from the parts of Texas where the grapes do grow. They maintain a few acres of vines but not nearly enough to sustain the amount of wine they produce.
The (retired)couple who owned this winerey www.bernhardtwinery.com
have a nice business and are expanding. They not only make and sell wine but have a nice outdoor venue for all types of gatherings. It was a great afternoon!

There are several here in Wisconsin. One of our favorites is Wollersheim. They make a very good port and lots of other good wines. Every fall they had an event called the Grape Stomp. It was wildly popular with thousands of attendees for the weekend. Unfortunately it was discontinued because of its sucess. ( something to do with local law enforcement ?) We are keeping our fingers crossed for its return.

pelican said:
NW, I just did a quick google search and discovered there is a winery between Walker & Bemidji called Forestedge and they do wines from MN fruits (chokecherry, rhubarb, raspberry,strawberry, blueberry, cranberry, plum and black currants). Supposedly Cashwise & Westside, and other outlets around the state, carry their wines, though I was just at Cashwise today and didn't happen to see them... wasn't looking though. They are closed from January through April - maybe come summer a visit could be in order...

20080302_162358_000_0098_Small.jpg

Yes there is
smiley36.gif

The one near here I think is in Laporte...they do fruit wines only....It may be the same people in different locations....

How far are you away from Iron River, Wisc?

I've heard some good things ( can't remember where ) about this place...

http://www.whitewinter.com/?110000

I've been wanting to try some of their meads.

http://www.whitewinter.com/?202000002000

Now I see their products are sold in a town near me, so I can buy a couple of bottles....

But you may well be within a short drive from them!
I don't know if they givesamples ....

Last fall we attendeda Grape Stomp at a local Winery called Morgan Creek it was great. They had a tasting tent set up you could pick your favorite then pick up a bottle and glasses at their storekick backin the Autumn sun and enjoy the festivities.

There were a lot of happy people leaving that day.

here in new jersey they call it the wine trail theres anywere between 22 and 30 wineries,great treck to try lots of good food all along the way//// Edited by: joeswine

We've been to at least 20+ wineries in Texas, mainly the hill country and north and east Texas. Every time I turn around I find another one I missed. We are going on a trip with two other couples to the Fredericksburg area in April.

Latest posts

Back