Lilacs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sitting in a hotel in Connecticut marveling at OilnH20's progress.
smiley32.gif
10-4 on the sticky fingers.
smiley4.gif
(Thur. 18 May)

I have N.H. fri and sat move on to R.I. Sunday and Mondayand head back home lateon Tues. As soon as I can catch my breath I'll check out the lilac recp. and get it started up. I have enough for a gallon batch and will proceed accordingly.

I will heed MedP's advice and add 12oz can of concord. My lilacs could use the color as the variety we have is more white than purple. I suspect it will add some body as well. In any event OilnH20 your looking good my friend.
smiley32.gif

MedPretzel said:
Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been under the weather.

Noting serious I hope?
smiley19.gif

Can't have one of the proffessorial staff down and out.
smiley5.gif
Hope your feeling better.
smiley20.gif

OilnH20,

Looking good
smiley1.gif
and looks like a lot of work, but I bet it will be well worth the time. I can't believe how far behind our spring is here, my lilacs haven't even bloomed yet. The bush in front of my office in Deer Lodge started blooming yesterday. I love the smell, so I bet the wine will be good.

I'm waiting for the rhubarb to mature to start some rhubarb wine, it should be ready in a week or so.

Wow, BMW!

Our lilacs are better than the last few years, especially with the 90's and low humidity -- I stress for our friends on the forum -- the LOW humidity! (It was higha few days agoat 27 percent!).

I'm doing a painting for Grant Kohrs and their big celebration at the end of the month so have been making the drive severaltimes over the last month-- but its been a beautiful spring/summerthere too! Watch out for sunburn!

smiley16.gif

Update!

Here is the lilac wine after 5 days in the primary and the first racking. It has a0.992 specific gravity. The harvest area is in the background!
smiley2.gif

2006-05-23_131652_Lilac1stRackThm.jpg

The taste is pretty sharp, not an unpleasant aroma, but it doesn't smell like lilacs -- more fruity almost. Pepere -- these vacation road trips are cutting into your real work!
smiley36.gif

OilnH2O,

What a beautiful color
smiley2.gif
. I'm sure the taste will be just as good!

Beautiful, colors!!!! Made me a little dizzy looking down!!! Nice mountains in the background!!!! Ramona

Thank you google.

Azalea
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
?
Azalea

Rhododendron 'Hinodegiri'
Scientific classification
Kingdom:plantae
Division:Magnoliophyta
Class:Magnoliopsida
Order:Ericales
Family:Ericaceae
Genus:Rhododendron
Subgenus:pentanthera

Source: The Rhododendron page, and some research.
Azaleas are flowering shrubs making up part of the genus Rhododendron.
Originally azaleas were classed as a different genus of plant, but now they
are recognised as two of the eight sub-genera of rhododendrons -
subgenus Pentanthera (deciduous) typified by Rhododendron nudiflorum,
and subgenus Tsutsusi (evergreen) typified by Rhododendron tsutsusi.

One of the major differences between azaleas and the rest of the
rhododendron family is their size. Another is their flower growth.
Rhododendrons grow their flowers in clusters, while most azaleas have
terminal blooms (one flower per flower stem). However, they have so
many stems that during the flowering season they are a solid mass of
colour. Azaleas are recognised by these flowers blooming all at once, in a
showy display for a month or two in spring. The exception to this rule is a
small group of azaleas which grow their flowers in tight terminal clusters
that look like little balls of colour.

Plant enthusiasts have created hybrid azaleas for hundreds of years. This
human genetic modification has produced over 10,000 different cultivars
which are propagated by cuttings. For a thorough discussion of some of
the species and plant care, see this link. Azalea seeds can also be
collected and germinated.

Azaleas grow best in well-drained acidic garden soil or in plant pots, in a
cool, shady position. Fertilizer is optional, although some species do need
regular pruning.

A traditional alcoholic beverage made from azalea blossoms, called
dugyeonju (???, literally "azalea wine"), is produced in Korea.

Awesome looking wine and unbelievable background of your view from the deck I presume!
smiley32.gif

Man: the wine looks great!!!
smiley32.gif

OilnH2O: I wish they were vacation trips. I got a good look at the Merrimack River in Manchester NH and it looked like a class five rapids run after all of that rain. Spent two nights in Providence/Warwick and had a great dinner at Hemenways. I'm sure Masta knows where that is! We got back late last night and I found my Green Apple Riesling stuck at 1.030 and not a bubble to be found. I gave a stir from the bottom up and an hour later I had things rolling again. I thought I had messed up for sure by adding the extra sugar but, everything is working again so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

We leave this weekend for Western Maryland for an event Sat. and a stay at the cabin. Later in June I'm off to Burlington VT. Drive up on Tuesday drive back on Thur. turn myself in for a battery charge and hope I can make it to Tampa on June 30th to July 7th. Come on November!!!!
smiley5.gif

This is all getting in the way of my wine making I can tell you that. One good note out of all this. The Chianti has cleared beautifully and I'm going to let it set a while longer.(Heck I won't be here to play with itany way!) While we were gone the Vieux Chateau du Roi arrived and as soon as my primary is clear I'll get that kit started. Any volunteers to be my valet the next two months???
smiley4.gif

Masta, it is the view in one direction from our deck (to the southwest) -- the views to the west and north are as nice, given that we look over Missoula. I thought the picture of the lilacs in the background would be a nice addition. Ramona, I know it's not Houston-flat, but BMW's got the real mountains nearby!
smiley36.gif

OilnH20,

Do you have a website where we can look at you artwork? What are you painting?

Ramona

My website is "parked" with godaddy until I get some time to get something going on it! Every now and then I change my avatar to something new -- I paint in oils and watercolors -- hence, "Oil and Water!"

smiley9.gif

Dave

OilnH2O:

I tried oils and then I tried watercolors. Alas, I am afflicted with "LOT"

"Lack Of Talent."
smiley11.gif

Having given it a go, I do so appreciate most artists. Would love to see your work. I hope you get the website up soon so we might all enjoy your talents.
smiley32.gif

OilnH20:

Well, I've been working on wine today and I have the lilacs in boiling water.................finally!! I'm off again friday before leaving for Delaware Sat a.m. so I'll have her going before I leave for Vermont on Monday.

I opted for the red grape concentrate as recomended by "Med" so the color will be a bit different. I'll take pictures as soon as I have it in the gallon jug. How is your Lilac wine coming along??

I think its looking good... a pale red and starting to clear although still hazy. There's a few "floaties" of some sort on the the surface...hope that's nothing to worry about! I'll be racking again around June 23... I'll take a pic after that!

Good idea for the red grape concentrate!
smiley32.gif
Take some pic'sof yours!

Flowers are still "steeping." I'll have it under glass by Fri afternoon. I'll get some pix and post them before I leave on my next series of "vacation" trips. (don't I wish)

From what I've read the floaties are a common phenom. I suspect they'll end up on the bottom before too long.
smiley5.gif

Sounds like everything's under control.
smiley2.gif

Don't worry about the floaties.They'll fall to the bottom, as Pepere said.

Good on the red concentrate. You'll be happier you used them than if you didn't.

Can't wait to see the pics!

M.

Med,

I'm thinking I'll bottle in 375's. From what I'm reading a full 750 might be a bit much at one sitting. With the flowers steeping the aromamakes fora very strong lilac bouquetin our kitchen.
smiley4.gif

Back