Lilacs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepere

Reaction score
Okay all you profs. out there.

The wife and I just picked about 5 quarts of fresh Lilacs, got them off the stems, bagged and into the freezer. Now I know these little flowers are suppose to make a very nice wine. Any ideas???
smiley5.gif

This will be my first scratch wine so all suggestions will be seriously taken. I think I have enough for a gallon batch.
smiley25.gif

The grasshopper awaits instruction.
smiley1.gif

Pepere,

Contact Martina (Medpretzel); I believe the site PWP provided is her's. She has made more wines from flowers than anyone I know of. She could provide some valuable information I'm sure!

Some of us at Winestock had the good fortune to acquire a bottle of
Martina's Lilac wine. We were sitting in the lobby of the Inn and
figured that the label was Martina's and the wine was her Lilac.
(somehow the label has gotten moist and was difficult to read).
It is very unusual and I was soooo happy to have the opportunity to try
it. Although I can't imagine pairing it with anything in my
kitchen, it is well worth taking the time and effort to make.
Good luck and thanks Martina! Sally3 :)

:) Thank you for the compliment.

I think it's a wine that is unusual, yet tastes pretty good (just one glass - more is too much). Smells even better.

:)

Maybe I should have had my drinking glasses on in the lobby Saturday night so the Inn didn't end up with a Crushendo stain on the carpet!
smiley36.gif

MP:

I understand I have enough for one gallon. Now I see two different recip. One calls for a white grape concentrate one calls for an extra 1/2lb of sugar no concentrate. Which of these would you suggest.

I also noticed there are no instructions for fining other than racking. No chemicals or isinglass ect.....
smiley5.gif

I know you're the maker of all wines with flowers and I'm willing to bet they're all great. "Grasshopper" awaits direction from Lady with great experience and knowledge before attempting first scratch wine.
smiley9.gif

Hummmm, I know nothing, I saw nothing!
smiley19.gif
Must remember to pack straws next time. :)

How'sthe lilac winecoming? Gotta admit: the neighbors are in Germany andwe're watching their house -- and they have about ten 10-foot tall purple lilac bushes along their back fence -- just coming into full flower here in God's Country.

As I was checking their place today, I spied those lilacs andI thought...hmmm... lilacs... wonder how Pepere's wine is coming... wonder if they'd miss some of those blooms!

smiley2.gif

I picked and cleaned all the flower petalsand put them in the freezer. I haven't started yet because I'm on travel to N.H. and Rhode Island this week and next,Also there are two recp and I'm not sure which one to use. One uses an extra 1/2lb of sugar and the other a white grape concentrate.

My advice, pick four or five quarts and freeze them. You'd be amazed at how much is actually on one good sized lilac bush. Of course with that many lilac bushes you have enough for gallons I'm sure. I think the recp. calls for four qts per gallon. (not sure about that) but that's close.

oilnh20,

I don't think they would mind, as long as you shared the wine!!

Ok, pic's later. But, I took the plunge, and raided the neighbor's lilacs!

I harvested much more than I needed -- two 2.5 gallon buckets of blooms. I found it's best to pick blooms in whichall the flowers have opened rather than some still in the bud stage. I'm using Jack Keller's recipe no. 2 which uses the Welch's grape juice.

I found that one full bucket of blooms (I'm talking about the whole head here)seemed to produce enough petals called for in the recipe. But that is still a LOT! I'm sure others know that the bloom you see on the bush is actually dozens of individual, 4-petaled flowers, each with a small stem.
smiley5.gif

I've now learned much more about lilacs than I ever wanted! When the flower heads are pulled from the peduncle (the stem) it left the stamens and pistils on the stem. There was a little bit of nectar in some, but that mostly made sticky fingers. This is a tedious process but interesting until you realize that after an hour of processing, you've still got a long way to go! But, except for the occasional broken stem I got the petals in the primary and the water boiled, poured over as called for, and left it for 48 hours.

Pepere, if you've notstarted, I'd suggest that you put the flowers inastraining bag and then put the bag in the primary. That is assuming the boiling water isn't going to melt thebag -- I used nylon -- but I'm sure someone will point out if I'm wrong!That would be easier than the way I did it, which required straining into another (sanitized) container (with the nylon bag) then transferring back to the primary!

Martina, like Pepere I await your wisdom.
smiley4.gif
Just don't tell me I could have just thrown the whole bloom in, stems and all! I can see why you'd make this a gallon at a time!
smiley29.gif

But, I'm on the way!
smiley36.gif

Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been under the weather.

Both recipes are similar, the one with welch's gives you more body/grapiness. The one with apple concentrate gives you a light, aperatif-like wine. Both, however, is not for drinking more than one glass. It's very good, but just one glass of it.

Therefore, I would bottle in 375 ml.

Personally, (I've never tried it) I would probably try to add a can of concord - to give it a purple tinge. A white wine made of lilacs was somewhat disappointing.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Pictures --

Here is the neighbor's fence -- only HALF of it! Notice this is after harvest andwith selective cutting. They'll never know blossoms are missing!
smiley2.gif

2006-05-18_110805_Lilac_Fence_Thm.jpg

Here is the must after 48 hours of steeping butbefore petals were strained.

2006-05-18_110939_Lilac_Must_Thm.jpg

And, here is the must after straining, all ingredients added, and yeast pitched! GO YEASTIES!
smiley36.gif

2006-05-18_111123_Lilac_Yeast_Thm.jpg

Latest posts

Back