Life expectancy in beer bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some champagne bottles should certainly be able to take a crown cap. When the champagne is initially put in the bottle it is sealed with a crown cap. A cork is only put in after disgorging

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1sNq8AfYys[/ame]

15gallons a month?

I should clarify, I have friends whose families have fallen for the stuff, my kids friends, friends of their friends, it seems that it disappears quite fast, and I don't get very much for myself. With Dragon blood, and Skeeter pee, it seems like everyone that tries it wants some more. Dale.

I should clarify, I have friends whose families have fallen for the stuff, my kids friends, friends of their friends, it seems that it disappears quite fast, and I don't get very much for myself. With Dragon blood, and Skeeter pee, it seems like everyone that tries it wants some more. Dale.

Ha, Ha,
Wintertime in Nebraska. What else is there to do. Maybe Husker Basketball will help a little. Football has kinda gone downhill. LOL, Arne

One thing not touched on in this thread is the other part of the aging potential is what you put inside the bottle. If you put something with little real fruit, no tannins, and dont build it from the start to age well its not going to age well in any bottle with any kind of closure. Cider has been bottled in beer style bottles and champagne bottles and even apple wine under cork, its normally done by many people. The potential for cider to age is up to you when you make it, if you are just using store bought juice and fermenting it with little care then it should easily last you thru the next summer in beer bottles, after that though and its anyones guess. It seems you are just making fast drinkers so you should be safe, if you add a little KM even safer. Spend just a few more dollars and get one of those beer cappers that is on its own stand with a nice hand lever, much easier to use. WVMJ

Last edited:
Ha, Ha,
Wintertime in Nebraska. What else is there to do. Maybe Husker Basketball will help a little. Football has kinda gone downhill. LOL, Arne

How bout milk nearly 200 cows at 3:00am then clean milk house, go in for breakfast then off to school. back from school to milk again feed and clean milk house again. Just in time for super homework, and bedtime. The only change is summer when doing hay takes place of school. Morrell Ne. born and raised. Plenty to do. that's why I left! LOL:w

How bout milk nearly 200 cows at 3:00am then clean milk house, go in for breakfast then off to school. back from school to milk again feed and clean milk house again. Just in time for super homework, and bedtime. The only change is summer when doing hay takes place of school. Morrell Ne. born and raised. Plenty to do. that's why I left! LOL:w

Grew up on a farm myself, there's always work to do, but I seem to remember having the time to party a little. Now I'm a upper middle aged fart, and live in town, so I have time for a few hobbies. And I really love making wine, and my family and friends appreciate it! Dale.

Ain't it great?? That is why farmers have kids, get their own slave labor. It is a wonderful life, tho. Arne.

Ain't it great?? That is why farmers have kids, get their own slave labor. It is a wonderful life, tho. Arne.

I hated it so much I joined the service at an early age to get off that farm. :tz As soon as I got out of the service I bought a farm of my own. Once the land is in your blood you can be nothing else. I have all a guy could ask for. Except a family. Would trade it all to be back on that farm with them were they all still on this earth.

The pressure in a beer bottle helps keep the seal of the cap. Having said that, I can't see why the wine wouldn't last for many years.

With this question in mind, you really need to wonder why they don't make 750 ml bottles with a mouth made for capping. Cheap, dependable, easy to open, stores upright... and they have O2 barrier caps (I used to use them on barley wine). In fact, I have a few bottles of barley wine that are over 10 years old now.
You can get 750 ml bottles with a Grolsch type closure.

My intention was never to age long term.
Just the opposite, they would probably be drank quickly.
I am also not storing "good" or "fine" wine, I would most likely be bottling my cider or Skeeter Pee in beer bottles.

My thought was when drinking SP by the pool, I am cracking open an entire wine bottle.
If I dont drink the entire bottle, I tend to drink it the next day or there after for fear of oxidation.

However for the cost ($5 for 100 caps, $20 for a capper and my seemingly unlimited supply of beer bottles) I could bottle in beer bottles.
This would enable me to drink 12 oz and not have to worry about what is left over.
I could also bring SP on the golf course, since it is easier to stash a few 12 oz bottle in a golf bag opposed to a wine bottle!
If you want to, you can use reusuable 750 or 500 ml bottles (25+ or 16 oz) bottles with a "Grolsch" type closure. Not all crown caps fit every bottle, so you might have a small problem there. Twist off bottles are not reliable to reseal. I have carbonated beer in aluminum bottles, although I didn't like to be seen drinking homebrew out of an AL Coors light can/bottle. PET (carbonated soda) bottles will also work. If being discreet is your goal, those soda bottles work well for that also.

Latest posts

Back