Lets get some grapes!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptk

Reaction score
I am working with a local vinyard to get some grapes this fall. It is www.cavevineyard.com. They pick the grapes by machine and I have been told that I can go behind the machine and pick what ever is left behind. I think I could also buy some grapes if I want. This Missouri vineyard has Chardonel, Traminette, Chambourcin and Cynthiana/Norton. I have never made wine from fresh grapes but I have all year to get ready! I think I would like to make a batch of each kind of grape. What do you think?

Why not!
You might get a boatload of grapes. I don't know how effective machines are at picking grapes, but I'll bet there will be some left for you.

Google "grape picking machine utube"
You will see several photos on top half of page.

I can't imagine how the grape vine survives such a thing.

Anyone here have any expierence making wine from these 4 types of grapes?

It looks like there might be some Norton available this weekend! Anyone here ever make a nice wine from a Norton?

Haven't made any Norton but it is one of my favorite wines actually - wish I could get hold of some grapes here in Florida!

Chardonel is a great grape to work with. If picked ripe, it makes a nice full bodied white wine with fruit forward - lots of crisp apple and pear flavors. Very little work is needed to get it to ferment and clear. Wish I had more growing.

Just p[cked some Chardonal yesterday. I will pick up the juice next week. What yeast do you recommend? Not sure of the numbers yet will find out when I pick up the juice.

Latest posts

Back