Lemon Wine - sediment in bottom

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo1

Junior
Reaction score
After bottleing some lemon wine that was 11 months old I began to notice a seiment after about 30 days in the bottle. It loks like it is very small - almost transparent flakes that suspend when the wine is disturbed. Sparkloid was used 30 days before bottleing. What is it and what do I do to corrent it?

Sounds like tartaric crystals and this post will help explain how cold stabilizing before bottling will help speed this process up. Now that your wine is already bottled decanting in a wine decanter and letting the crystals settle before serving will eliminate them from getting into your glass.

I have been seeing this more and more as my reds age in the wine cellar.

http://www.finevinewines.com/Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1264 Edited by: masta

Did you add k-meta right before bottling, poissibly crushed campden? Otherwise Id go with Masta's idea!

thank you the room the wine lives in can get up to 80 degrees in the florida summers. i start my wine in jan. &feb. rack and use campden tabs throughout the spring, by summer it's clear and sits in the carboys until i bottel in nov. [ i rack and stabalize in sept. or oct

It doesn't sound like tartaric crystals, since the wine is a lemon wine. The predominant acid would be citric.

What is the final SG of the wine? Did you stabilize with sorbate? You might be seeing final bits of yeast dropping out of suspension.

the final sg was o.990 the alcohol content was 13 and no for the sorbate i have some other wines that have the same problem that were botteld in 05 and 06 the first two years i began this hobby there are two exceptions one is some 05 blackberry that was made with botteld water the other is some welches white concentrate from early 06 that was put in the frig. when the sg reached 1.014 i will try to cool my wine room better and make sure the chemicals are disolved properly along with better racking tecqenics the lemon winemay have some possibalitys to be realy nice but down the road who knows a sincere thanksto each of you for your time

Latest posts

Back