Leaving carboy for 5 months

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Junior
Reaction score
I have a red wine in a carboy for bulk aging. I will be out of the country for 5 months. I'm afraid the airlock will dry up by then. Any suggestions?

If you can have someone check on it for you that would be great, if not you can try some glycerine, it does not dry out as fast as water.
What part of the country ( dont give exact location but state would help) are you in and where do you keep your wine?

good luck and enjoy your trip.

If you are using a 3 piece airlock, get one of the S-type - they seem to go forever without need to top up.

If it is finished fermenting etc , why not cork it and wax it???

Glycerin will not evaporate at room temperature, so could last for years. Not all glycerin is pure so look for food quality. Many food stores, pharmacies, craft, and big box stores carry it.

Tony P.

I live in Colorado ( Very low humidity ) Keep carboy in walk in crawl space with constant temp of 55 degrees

Get a long pce of racking hose and insert it in the bung and run that hose into a mason jar full of water. I highly doubt that would all be gone in that time. This is called a blow off hose and used for making beer as whats in the airlock while beer is fermenting would get blown out in no time at all.

Dugger said:
If you are using a 3 piece airlock, get one of the S-type - they seem to go forever without need to top up.

Worst case do this.... My s type last 3x longer than my 3 piece. Could even tape off half the holes on top to slow it down even more.

Back