Other LE Aglianico has been released -yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done about 15 kits with substituted yeast. No problems to date. Initially, I carefully rehydrated the yeast with a yeast energizer, and added some nutrients along the way. However, on the last few batches, I have just sprinkled the dry yeast on top and did not use additional nutrient.

Well, I finally started this one earlier today. I don't currently have anything to sub with, and wasn't going to make an order just for a packet of yeast. So I went with the EC-1118. SG was low, at 1.086 when I first mixed it up. I'm giving the dried skins a few hours to soak before I pitch the yeast. Hopefully, I get a better (higher) SG reading. The juice is nice and dark though. I will probably add a dose of tannin to secondary.

My SG only got up to about 1.088. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm not going to sweat it. It's humming along now, nice aromas of leather and spice.

I only got 1.086 too. But I added two moderately pressed 5 gal Sangiovese grape skins. Hopefully more leather more spice, less Jim [emoji12]

And the Rockpile RP-15 I'm considering is described...RP-15 is a recently isolated Californian strain that was selected from spontaneous Rockpile Syrah fermentations by Vinquiry in collaboration with winemaker Jeff Cohn. RP-15 is a moderate rate fermenter with average nitrogen demands. Due to its' ability to develop a structured yet lush and balanced mouthfeel, RP-15 is ideally suited to making rich, concentrated reds. Initial winemaker feedback has indicated that RP-15 does well with emphasizing varietal flavor and red fruit character. In addition, with careful hydration and nutrients, RP-15 delivers good mineral and spice notes to wine. RP-15 is recommended for Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best results from 59 to 90 degrees F, with an alcohol tolerance to 16%....
Received my LE Aglianico Barbera yesterday and it came with RC 212. Leaning towards doing the Rockpile as I recently finished an Amorone kit with it and was pleased with the results. Seems it has the potential to be a bit of a new rock star yeast

I wonder if 1118 gets a bad rap. Everyone is seeking to swap it out based on manufacturer descriptions of what other yeasts supposedly bring to the table. 1118 is considered neutral which to me means it lets the natural varietal flavor come out. It’s also a workhorse while fermenting under difficult decisions. It is not the best for MLF but that shouldn’t matter for a kit.

That said, I do the same, usually opting for 212. I haven’t found yeast change a kit too much. I think the manufacturer descriptions sound great but I’m skeptical about the reality. Wondering about other people’s take.

My pallet might not be discerning enough.

If youb an to try something out of the box add a Red Star champagne used
And the EC 1118 .
They both have something to add to the mix.🍷🍷🍷🍷🍷

I wonder if 1118 gets a bad rap. Everyone is seeking to swap it out based on manufacturer descriptions of what other yeasts supposedly bring to the table. 1118 is considered neutral which to me means it lets the natural varietal flavor come out. It’s also a workhorse while fermenting under difficult decisions. It is not the best for MLF but that shouldn’t matter for a kit.
I don't see it as a bad rap -- EC-1118 IS a workhorse, and IME it's a good idea to keep a packet handy. Kit vendors typically use it as a newbie is far less likely to have a problem. However, EC-1118 doesn't do much to enhance the wine.

Regarding varietal flavor, other strains enhance different natural flavors and aromas. Each strain brings something different to the table, and I'm currently using multiple strains in separate batches, then blending post-fermentation to make a more complex wine.

There's nothing wrong with using EC-1118, or any other strain. Each has different qualities, which provides us with a lot of good choices, and rather few poor choices.

I don't see it as a bad rap -- EC-1118 IS a workhorse, and IME it's a good idea to keep a packet handy. Kit vendors typically use it as a newbie is far less likely to have a problem. However, EC-1118 doesn't do much to enhance the wine.

Regarding varietal flavor, other strains enhance different natural flavors and aromas. Each strain brings something different to the table, and I'm currently using multiple strains in separate batches, then blending post-fermentation to make a more complex wine.

There's nothing wrong with using EC-1118, or any other strain. Each has different qualities, which provides us with a lot of good choices, and rather few poor choices.
Are there particular blending combinations that you’ve found work well with reds? Say Merlots, Malbecs or Syrahs?

Are there particular blending combinations that you’ve found work well with reds? Say Merlots, Malbecs or Syrahs?
I've formed the opinion that all Vinifera red can be successfully blended. Some combos will be better than others, but all work.

So far, the typical Bordeaux base wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot) work with a variety of other reds blended in. Same for Rhone (Grenache, Syrah). I haven't had the chance to play with Italian varietals yet, although this fall I'll be blending Tempranillo with Rhone varietals (Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Syrah). Early bench testing of Grenache with that blend was seriously wow.

Regarding yeast strains, I haven't done enough to form any patterns. Current wines (Grenache, Tempranillo) were each fermented in 2 batches, using RC-212 and Renaissance Avante, then blended back. I'm satisfied with both varietals, although they are young.

This is an area to research. I read the descriptions of the strains and choose them for what sounds good. You can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated. Contemplating a Cabernet Franc and Petite Sirah or Petite Verdot blend.
I've formed the opinion that all Vinifera red can be successfully blended. Some combos will be better than others, but all work.

So far, the typical Bordeaux base wines (Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot) work with a variety of other reds blended in. Same for Rhone (Grenache, Syrah). I haven't had the chance to play with Italian varietals yet, although this fall I'll be blending Tempranillo with Rhone varietals (Mourvedre, Petite Sirah, Syrah). Early bench testing of Grenache with that blend was seriously wow.

Regarding yeast strains, I haven't done enough to form any patterns. Current wines (Grenache, Tempranillo) were each fermented in 2 batches, using RC-212 and Renaissance Avante, then blended back. I'm satisfied with both varietals, although they are young.

This is an area to research. I read the descriptions of the strains and choose them for what sounds good. You can't really go wrong.

Thanks for the input. Appreciated. Contemplating a Cabernet Franc and Petite Sirah or Petite Verdot blend.
That sounds like a good blend. Petite Sirah and Petit Verdot are heavy-duty grapes. You may use less of them than you expect, to let the CF shine through.

Back