Other LE Aglianico has been released -yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
I got my message from George the LE Aglianico has been released now I have to figure out which yeast. I was looking at yeasts that may be appropriate for reds like Zinfandel Cabernet and Syrah? Anyone have any thoughts on a good yeast swap for this? I am not sure which yeast will come with this kit.
Thanks for your advice!

I hope to have mine in a few days, but won't be starting it until at least June. I, too, am curious to see what yeast will be included. But I've been happy with BM4X4 every time I've used it - I'd give that one some thought.

I'll be completely boring and use whatever yeast comes with the kit.. :sl

And unlike RJS LR wines I've done in the past, this one did NOT come with foils. No bigee, but...

I've narrowed my choices down to BM4X4, RC212 and D254. I'll try another commercial Aglianico or two in the coming weeks to hopefully help me decide.

I just had my first one tonight, and I am quite disappointed that I didn't see this limited edition before!!

Bam! Grabbed one!! Let's hope this kit doesn't disappoint like most others have :(

Last edited:
I bought a bottle of nativ iroinia aglianico so I could see what this kit would be like and I and I like it! I bought two kits and look forward to both of them!

I'm curious...how do you know which yeast to substitute to enhance the kit?

Well, I look at the varietal first and the characteristics of the aglianico. Then I look at yeast descriptions. Morewinemaking.com really has the best descriptions on this. I figure out which characteristics I want to enhance...ec118 that comes with it has a description that reads something like a neutral flavor component that will do the job with no problems in a super wide temp range. (Ideal for kits)

While let's sat the bm 4x4 Jim is looking at is described this way...BM 4x4 is a new yeast blend created by Lallemand, designed to provide all of the benefits and flavors of the BM45 yeast strain, along with a much more reliable and consistent fermentation. This means that you'll be getting all of the flavors of jam, rose petals, and cherry liquor with a stronger fermentation with less risk of a stuck or sluggish fermentation. This is a blend between the traditional BM45 and a complimentary strain, chosen for its fermentation kinetics. Positive interaction between these strains means a more dependable fermentation, along with increased aromatic intensity, color intensity, and length of finish. Ideal fermentation temperature is between 64-82°F. This strain will enhance varietal character, and mouthfeel in a wine. Alcohol tolerance is 15%.

And the Rockpile RP-15 I'm considering is described...RP-15 is a recently isolated Californian strain that was selected from spontaneous Rockpile Syrah fermentations by Vinquiry in collaboration with winemaker Jeff Cohn. RP-15 is a moderate rate fermenter with average nitrogen demands. Due to its' ability to develop a structured yet lush and balanced mouthfeel, RP-15 is ideally suited to making rich, concentrated reds. Initial winemaker feedback has indicated that RP-15 does well with emphasizing varietal flavor and red fruit character. In addition, with careful hydration and nutrients, RP-15 delivers good mineral and spice notes to wine. RP-15 is recommended for Syrah, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Best results from 59 to 90 degrees F, with an alcohol tolerance to 16%....

I done well over 20 kits and dragons blood ( thanks Dave) which has helped me learned about feeding my yeast and stuck fermentation, so I feel like if I had a problem I could solve it. And of course this voids your warranty with your kit.

Ps descriptions totally plaguerized from morewinemaking :)

I guess I'm just afraid of fixing something that isn't really broken. But I would like to get all that I can out of these kits, without bringing in too much extra work or risk. I've yet to have a stuck fermentation, but I've also never subbed out the yeast. How forgiving are some of the yeasts you more adventurous types have been using? Do you have to do anything much different than with the typical kit yeasts? Any stuck ferments?

Latest posts

Back