Lazy Mans Degassing Device

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi, check this out......this is the proto type, I plan to rig my other seven carboys with the same way to help degas. I normally use my brake bleeder to degas each carboy individually. It takes time but seems to do the job. With this set-up I'll be able to hold pressure on each of them, going back to vacuum when/if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_7706.JPG
    IMG_7706.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_7708.JPG
    IMG_7708.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 126
Hi, check this out......this is the proto type, I plan to rig my other seven carboys with the same way to help degas. I normally use my brake bleeder to degas each carboy individually. It takes time but seems to do the job. With this set-up I'll be able to hold pressure on each of them, going back to vacuum when/if needed.

Neat idea, my device is even lazier, I just wait. LOL

Those quick-connects on the ends of the valve - I use lots of those in my greenhouse - they work great under positive pressure, but will they hold under negative pressure?

if I'm not mistaken pressure is pressure, negative or positive. I think they test fittings for both. Anyway, it hold a negative pressure fine. Also, I was thinking.......I wonder if this set-up would work with large head space.

if I'm not mistaken pressure is pressure, negative or positive. I think they test fittings for both. Anyway, it hold a negative pressure fine. Also, I was thinking.......I wonder if this set-up would work with large head space.

Go to the link below. I have 2 of these. Today I racked 3 wines to secondary and one was short. When I installed it and left the pump running you should have seem the gases coming up.

https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/headspace-eliminator/

Some things are specifically designed and engineered based on the type of pressure they should experience and in which direction.

That's what I was getting at. You can't get those fittings apart under pressure. In the absence of any positive pressure they come apart easily.

I'm sure @pete1325 did his research but when I was searching the the one way valve @NorCal used which is the same as the AIO I noticed some valves are designed specifically for air pressure and some for liquids and some didn't distinguish. Although it may not be 100% fool proof the addition of the bulb on the AIO headspace eliminatoris a very good indicator there is still a vacuum.

I'm sure @pete1325 did his research but when I was searching the the one way valve @NorCal used which is the same as the AIO I noticed some valves are designed specifically for air pressure and some for liquids and some didn't distinguish. Although it may not be 100% fool proof the addition of the bulb on the AIO headspace eliminatoris a very good indicator there is still a vacuum.

Let me say that I LOVE my Ai1 pump. However, I have to disagree to some extent here about the Headspace Eliminator.

The Ai1 pulls about 20-22 inches. That means that the most you will ever get is about 66% vacuum. The bulb* pops at 10 inches, which is about 33% vacuum. To me that means that the best you can do is eliminate 2/3 of the oxygen, and if you can eliminate more than 2/3 of your head space by topping off, you are better off doing that. I would also argue that if the bulb pops at 33% it is actually a pretty lousy indicator of your vacuum.

Somewhere in the Headspace Eliminator Review thread Steve does an experiment which suggests that his Ai1 is pulling 25-26 inches, but my understanding is that others in real life get less than that, and his own testing suggests around 21.

*The bulb is more familiar to many of us as the "snot sucker," the thing you use to clear secretions out of an infants mouth and nasopharynx.

Mine holds the vacuum just fine. I’ve used it for 5 months on a partially filled carboy with no noticeable impact. I’ll “top it off” on occasion, but this has worked for me to store partially used carboys and to degas.

Let me say that I LOVE my Ai1 pump. However, I have to disagree to some extent here about the Headspace Eliminator.

The Ai1 pulls about 20-22 inches. That means that the most you will ever get is about 66% vacuum. The bulb* pops at 10 inches, which is about 33% vacuum. To me that means that the best you can do is eliminate 2/3 of the oxygen, and if you can eliminate more than 2/3 of your head space by topping off, you are better off doing that. I would also argue that if the bulb pops at 33% it is actually a pretty lousy indicator of your vacuum.

Somewhere in the Headspace Eliminator Review thread Steve does an experiment which suggests that his Ai1 is pulling 25-26 inches, but my understanding is that others in real life get less than that, and his own testing suggests around 21.

*The bulb is more familiar to many of us as the "snot sucker," the thing you use to clear secretions out of an infants mouth and nasopharynx.

I'm not even going to try to figure out how you came up with your numbers, over my head. Not for your description but I did and still do have a few doubts about it though. I'm not smart enough to tell you why.

Mine holds the vacuum just fine. I’ve used it for 5 months on a partially filled carboy with no noticeable impact. I’ll “top it off” on occasion, but this has worked for me to store partially used carboys and to degas.

I'm not suggesting there is any problem holding the vacuum. I'm suggesting that at most it probably eliminates 2/3 of the oxygen; if you have some other method (smaller carboy, topping off) that eliminates more than 1/2 of the oxygen, in the case of a wine that is degassed, you are probably better off using that method instead.

A wine that has not fully degassed is a bit different of course. The problem here is that your vacuum will be lost faster, as the CO2 comes off the wine. But this problem is offset by the fact that as the headspace is filled with CO2, you have less need to "recharge" the vacuum because despite loss of the vacuum you haven't really increased your oxygen exposure. Now the same thing is happening in the topped up wine with just an airlock, though at a lower rate. Which wine has less oxygen exposure is not clear.

I'm not even going to try to figure out how you came up with your numbers, over my head. Not for your description but I did and still do have a few doubts about it though. I'm not smart enough to tell you why.

Here is the post where Steve quotes the pressure 21-22 inches.
Here is the video where Steve demonstrates his Headspace Eliminator pulling what appears to be 25-26 (@sour_grapes did the calculation for him in the other thread).
Here is where @dralarms says his only pulls 20.
This chart converts pressure to % vacuum.

@pete1325 sorry for the threadjack.

Here is the post where Steve quotes the pressure 21-22 inches.
Here is the video where Steve demonstrates his Headspace Eliminator pulling what appears to be 25-26 (@sour_grapes did the calculation for him in the other thread).
Here is where @dralarms says his only pulls 20.
This chart converts pressure to % vacuum.

@pete1325 sorry for the threadjack.
Actually after finding my release valve was leaking mine pulls 25 consistently.

Back