Imploded carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry if I have posted this before.

When I started out, I ended up with about a dozen carboys. My FIL came up with a way to box them out. The carboy can only be removed by breaking the create.

The crate provides easy hand holds for carrying full or empty carboys "upside down" (for draining when washing) as well as "right side up".

These crates are open enough to allow for scrubbing the outside of a carboy, fit loose enough so that the carboy does have some "wiggle room" and does a great job in preventing breakage. I remember seeing my brother drop an empty one from a height of about 4.5 feet onto solid concrete and the carboy escaped unscathed. I am proud to say that I have not had a single broken carboy in almost 20 years!

Best of all, these creates allow me to stack carboys, on their sides (when empty), one on top of the other. This saves a TON of storage space!

IMHO, these are the absolute best!

Here is a picture..

carboycrate.jpg

@johnt
I like the idea of the crate. How is the carboy nestled in from the bottom?

Steve

How about attaching one of the top rails via wingnuts so you can remove it when necessary. Would you be able to remove the carboy then? You could still stack them by choosing carefully which side the wingnuts are on.

BTW just love this idea. Empty carboys are a big issue for me unless plastic better bottles which are easy to stash. And yes, I know filling them would make it aaallll better very quickly.

Pam in cinti

I too make similar crates with minor differences-Ileave the lower slates up about an inch or so to view sediment easier.A poly finish makes cleanup nice.Also-bottoms are luan with about 6'' hole in center,with 4-1'' feet.When I must use plastic carboys they also get crated-easier to move and less likely to get stirred up.

John,
Thanks for the pictures, I have some extra wood on hand so now have a little project this weekend.

Steve

Go for it! They are easy to build and I have not found anything on the market that works as well...

If I can ask, could you post pictures of the build...

You know the local slogan here.. Pictures or it didn't happen!

Last edited:
Back