Land rich, cash poor. Can I start a small winery this way...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobertFisher

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,

I am about to buy 140 acres of land in southern Mendocino county, near the Anderson Valley wine region. I would like to try my hand at wine-making, but after the purchase I have no more cash to attempt such project, and no time either because I need to work my regular job to finance this purchase.

I am thinking, since I am land rich and cash poor, is it possible for me to partner with an aspiring vinter who is skill-rich but land-poor, to begin the wine business? Has this been a successful model before?

Would you be willing to part with some of your land to lease it for commercial development? Could help your cash situation.

In addition to the lag time from starting to getting usable fruit from your vinyard, there is a process to getting the permitting to grow and harvest fruit for alcohol production. Many wineries start by buying grapes from other growers or even crushes on contract with another winery. If you can get the cash to plant your vinyard you can do this the opposite way, and start by growing grapes for resale to commercial or home winemakers and using that income to help finance the start of your commercial winery.

Latest posts

Back