Help Needed finding a grape grower/winery for land in Southern Arizona

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT MBA

Junior
Reaction score
Hello fellow Wine Folks,

I have had some trouble finding a grape grower and/or winery to come and use land I have in Southern Arizona, specifically Willcox AVA. I am open to a lot of deals, but I would prefer leasing the land for grape growing and wine making. I can offer several hundred to several thousand acres to a company that would be willing to lease the land. I am also very interested in signing long-term leases, 25- and even 50-year leases.

Folks, what is the best way to approach this and find someone or a company that can get on my land and better use the land? There is just so much potential in Willcox AVA that I would love to tell any potential investor/partner. I have heard from years and saw a report from a soil scientist that the weather and soil conditions in Willcox are just as good as those in Tuscany--beating Napa Valley and Sonoma.

I just need to correct way to go about talking with people.

Help needed and appreciated! Thank you.

I wondered about the water situation. The googler told me this:

The new Willcox AVA is a relatively flat area located within a broad, shallow basin surrounded by higher mountains and mountain ranges. These include the Chiricahua Mountains, Dos Cabezas, Pinalenos, Dragoon, Little Dragoon, and Winchester Mountains. Over time, the geologic activity of the region has moved or disrupted many of the streams, creeks, and rivers of the area, creating a “closed basin.” This closed basin is reliant upon rainfall to re-charge its underlying aquifer, as opposed to the area surrounding it which has year-round (or seasonal) creeks and streams.

The soils of the Willcox AVA are mainly alluvial and colluvial and composed of loam made up of nearly equal parts sand, silt, and clay. These loamy soils retain enough water to hydrate the vines while allowing sufficient drainage through to the aquifer. The soils are referred to as the Tubac, Sonoita, Forrest, and Frye soil types, and are not found to a great extent in the area surrounding the AVA.

Yep.

https://www.winebusiness.com/classifieds/?go=post

I would talk with others in the AVA that are growing grapes. See if you could put some feelers out. Start networking with other wineries in the area that may want to expand production.

Thank you, IBGlowin and Salcoco. I have an account at this location now.

Have either of you used this site to post a job or need? If so, what was the response like?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not. This is a trade publication that is basically free to anyone who signs up for it. They have some interesting articles from time to time on the wine industry.

Latest posts

Back