Mosti Mondiale LaBodega Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A62Rambler

Reaction score
I started the LaBodega Port kit. It has progressed nicely but a little fast. Secondary fermentaion has stopped. My question is this: Can I leave it in the secondary after fermentaion has stopped? I want to leave it the full 14 days to get as much out of the oak as possible before racking it for long term aging. I'm only about a 5 days now and fermentaion stopped yesterday. It is just shy of being up to the neck of the carboy and this all makes me think I'm fine to let it sit but this Port has so much potential that I don't want to take any chances.
smiley5.gif

mesure S.G (should be under 1.000)
if not you could have some stopped ferm problems<

once primary is done and in a carboy with a airlock you can leave it there as long as you want without problems.
just be sure you air lock is always full and the ferm is complete.

for more oaking part... you can always buy cubes and use them in the bulk aging period (if you bulk age) to tweak it to your taste.

some use "Stavin" oak cubes

Sound advice from David. You can leave it there for quite awhile and that is called bulk aging which is good as it keeps our hands out of there and resists temperature changes from occurring as much as it would in a bottle as it takes much more time to raise or lower the temp of 6 gallons vs. .750 ml. At three months bulk aging add 1/4 tsp of k-meta though to keep it from oxidizing.

Thanks that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure. It's down to 0.998 so the fermentation has stopped. I just wanted to let it sit on the oak for a few more days before racking it to a clean carboy and getting it off the lees. I'm going to oak it and add the brandy before bulk aging it.

E&J VSOP and the oak is a pack out of my Lambusco kit. Unless I send in an order to George in time and then I'm going to use the French House Toast. I haven't decided on the oak or when to send in my order.

other suggestion,

be sure to add brandy and other stuff after the clarifiants have been racked to be sure you wont bulk with clarifiant.

usually those Mosti kit clear very well!

I have a meglioli bulk aging and it started to throw some crystals.
glad i didnt bottled it when it was " ready".

i think i will try some cold stabilisation this winter. (since here we can cold stabilise outside i will try it!)

Good kit, you will see this Port is unbelievable and nothing compare to it.

I just walked in from George's bottling party. I'll post more about that later other than to thank George for a wonderful time. I'm looking up his post about his and Joseph's versions of this kit because I just bought the La Bodega kitafter George poured me a sample of two versions, one with french oak stavin cubes added and no fortification and one that was fortified with brandy and Everclear. Both samples were out of this world. So I scrubbed the idea of making my father a merlot and bought this kit. I don't see how anyone can be dissatisfied with this kit. I'll be starting mine tonight.

Just got a shipment from Geo which included a port kit. Looking forward
to trying it, but wonder what David's comment about "throwing crystals"
means. Is that specific to port? What causes it? Is it
detrimental?

I made another order to George so I will be using French House Toast oak cubes and the E&J VSOP. I drank a little of the wine off the lees and that was good. If the finished product is much better, I may not want to share this one with anybody!
smiley2.gif

about "throwing cristals"
i will be very short because i have my little girl in my arms and im typing with one finger and this is long ;)

if you search with google "wine diamond" you will have a huge amount of info.

those diamond are a natural balancing even in the wine with a lot of tartaric acid. while the wine "evolve" it can throw color down or can throw diamond. these looks like translucid grain of sand and give the same effect in the mouth. it's not toxic you wont taste noting if you taste them they are just anoying to see in the last glass you pour (if you dont decant)

Ok my girl is playing so here's a quick google on wine diamond and cold stabilisation:

taken here:http://www.wineintro.com/glossary/c/coldstabilization.html

<H1>Cold Stabilization, Tartrate crystals and Wine</H1>

Some aspects of the wine community are strictly about appearance. Labels do not affect the flavor of a wine at all, yet they can often be a big part of the purchase decision. Large, sleek wineries might churn out mediocre wines, while small, back yard plots create the nectar of the gods. It is in this vein that the process of cold stabilization was born - a superficial process whose sole purpose is to make a wine "look" better.

The purpose behind cold stabilization is to remove all tartrate crystals from a wine during its fermentation stage. Tartrate Crystals are also called "wine diamonds". They are a natural product of the wine, and form when the wine gets too cold. It is in essence cream of tartar, forming because of the temperature change. Think of sugar turning into rock candy and you'll have a good mental image.

<TABLE>
<T>
<TR>
<TD></TD>
<TD>Tartaric acid is a normal grape acid. Potassium also exists in grapes, and when these two things bind together under chilly conditions, they form little potassium bitartrate crystals, which then settle to the bottom of the bottle. They're completely harmless, and quite natural. The problem, of course, is with appearances. </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

While in Europe these crystals are accepted as a sign that the wine is a natural one, and even appreciated, Americans are used to wine being clear, pure, filtered, processed and de-sedimented. Consumers often panic when they see little crystals in their Chardonnay, thinking they are impurities or even bits of broken glass. They often refuse to drink the wine and return it to the winemaker (who promptly serves it to his own family). Cold Stabilization is a way to prevent these returns from happening.

Almost all my reds have wine diamonds in them and they are stored at 56-57 degrees but it does take at least a year for this too happen at this temp.
The uneducated American wine drinkers can drop off their bottles with wine diamonds at my house and I will take care of them properly! Must be the same ones that like the ice cold, watered down, flavorless King of Beers!
smiley11.gif

My port is bulk aging on Oak. Of course I had to taste it. Wow, it's really good! It's young and a bit harsh yet but when this mellows it will be fantastic. I guess it's true that this is one kit you just can't mess up unless you really try hard. Mine has been fortified with E&amp;J VSOP Brandy and is aging on French House Toast. Here's the proposed label. I thought storm port was good because, any Port in a storm.
smiley2.gif

20070902_085739_Ship_and_clouds.jpg

Annwyl Cellars<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Storm Port

August 2007
<DIV align=center>375 ML 20% ABV

I just racked my seven day old La Bodega Port into my three gallon carboy and am drinking a left over cup of yeasty port. It tastes great and I'm restoring some much needed vitamin b-12. I can't wait until December when I bottle this puppy.

That's a great painting to use for your label. I think paintings are great backgrounds for labels. I used a Van Gogh for my VR Charonnay.

I have a question about Oak. I bought Stavin oak cubes from George. For those of you who used the cubes, did you just toss the oak chips that came with the kit or use both?

You know, I'm sitting here sipping my yeasty one week old port and wondering what it would be like to just ferment it dry and not add the port pack, as a premium way to make 3 gallons of quality red wine. I am a bit stunned how good this wine tastes at one week. Of course, give me another half hour and it'll be the best wine I ever tasted.

I used both oaks and I had the same delimna about the add pack. I do think I will try it once without, just to see what I get.

personnally i would go with STAVIN cubes and let it on cube for at least 2 month (if you have the patience) I have a RJ PSagnol Bush vine grenache with stavin cube instead of normal oak supplied and the diffwerence is day and night...

sure those cubes are a bit expensive (bought 8oz pack of french stavin cube for about 23$ (and i use 4 oz in carboy for 2 month) so basically i make 2 kit with a 8oz bag but the result is too impressive and i prefer pay a bit more for a much better product.

my next 23L of bodega port will be on stavin cube for sure!

Latest posts

Back