Label Removal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish1onthefly

Reaction score
I may the newest of the new on this forum! I would like to know what is the best way to remove labels. I bought a whole bunch of wine making equip and 20 cases of bottles that a restaraunt had saved for this guy. I have a LOT of labels to remove. So far hot water. plastic scrub pad. sheetrock sandpaper for the tough spots....

Try soaking them in hot water...while the bottles and labels are still hot take a razor blade/paint scraper [with a new blade if possible] and go under the label and go around the bottle..not up and down. Most lables [not all] come off almost whole with the glue still on.

Let us know how it works for you. I got the idea here on this Froum and it is a real labor saver.

This may sound like a lot of work, but really its more of a waiting game.

First I fill the sink with VERY hot water as well as the bottles (this way the bottles don't act as a heat exchanger). Then I let the bottles sit in the sink for about 20 to 30minutes. The labels will then peel right off leaving behind a thin layer of glue.

For this I empty the sink and the bottles and spray them with GOO GONE. Then I let them sit for another 15 minutes or so. Then I scrub them with a billo pad and the glue come right off.

Seems to work for me and requires very little work on my part.

Hope this helps.

Monty

Still scraping! I am going to try going with the glue not up and down,on my next batch...Thanks
The scraper does scratch some of the bottles though. I have been at it for 5 hours and I am D>O>N>E... done for today!

I let mine soak in hot water with B Brite and most of the labels just fall off with little or no glue residue left either

I soak in hot water also but I've been leaving them in for 2-3 days with oxiclean then razor across the bottle but be careful your thumb will want to be in the wrong spot and the bottles are slippery. Ecco domanilabels( the most popular at the restaurant mine come from) need a 3700 psipressure washer to be removed.
smiley4.gif

When I get a whole bunch like that i soak them in hot water like everyone else and now use Oxyclean or store brand equiv. Most of the time now I get a bottle here and there and just hit it with a scraper blade without even soaking it, they come off almost just as easy and this way you dont let them all gang up on you.

We also soak in hot water. Usually peel right off. On the tough ones, I use a blade and goo gone. Good luck. Let us know the easiest way you discover. By the way, welcome to the forum!

soak in a sink for about 3+ minutes with starsan and then use a flat blade razor/paint scraper. I've tried every method mentioned and a few not mentioned.

also I keep a sponge with that green scrubby stuff attached. I use it to scrub the bottle after soaking in starsan and scraping with the razor. This is the quickest and cleanest I have found.

the other method with b brite is good too, but took a long soak to work for me and I couldn't keep the sink/bucket full and around that long.

Welcome to the forum.

ps, you need to use a soap solution (starsan) in order to keep from scratching the bottles.

Edited by: rshosted

White bass fishing in Texas,...Mississippi mud... they run up in the creeks and fight like crazy and eat great with a glass of WINE!

Looks like a nice catch but hard to see in the avatar.I love to fish with light tackle on red creek in Wiggins MS you don't need a boat just walk from bar to bar. Some times with crickets and a cooler of beer.
smiley4.gif

Where do you fish1, Lake Texoma, Lake Livingston? I've fished both places. Are you from Texas. I have yet to see anyone from Houston, although, petercooper is near Huntsville. I've been fishing all my life and love it......can't fish and worry at the same time. Welcome to the forum!!!

Ramona

I live just north of Houston..New Caney..These were caught in the east fork of the San Jacinto..Ijust have a passion for the outdoors, hunting, fishing, and kayaking are at the top of my list. Wine making is my new project! I will work on the Avitar!

I tried so many ways to remove labels, but some the glue just wont come off. I don't want to use goo gone or any thing with chemicals. I wonder if steam would work, from one of those small steamers we see on late night tv commercials. I know they use them to take wallpaper off with.

The ones with that kind of glue, I just recycle. They just aren't worth the labor and time to clean them off. Most bottles will come clean just by soaking, floating or scraping. Those that don't get recycled back to the landfill.

I ened up with the bottlesin the crawfish pot...almost boiling, I used gloves and plastic scratchy pad and the glue came right off..I wanted to stay away from the chemicals too Thanks for all the help

I find that even the hardest clues come off with time in water, warm or cold.

I use This product:

20080225_184116_oxiclean-versat.jpg

I use a scoop per load of bottles, which is 3 cases. I do the easiest bottles first, those that I know the label falls right off...... well.... almost anyways.

Then, using the same water, I throw in the next 3 cases......... clean them and then put the hardest ones in and leave them in the water for....... sometimes up to a week. After a week, the glue just scrapes right off. After cleaning the label off, they get a hot soak in B brite, then rinsed in hot water and stored. Last weekend, I did 15 cases this way, and have about 2, to 2.5 cases in the sink right now. Then tonight I brought home 5 more cases, Friday I'll pick up 5 more for next weekends cleaning event.................

I wished someone needed some bottles...... COME AND GET THEM!!!!!!!

Over 100 cases and still counting.......... sigh.....

Back