Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Reaction score
I started my La Bodega Port kit today. I have already goofed it. I added both bags.
smiley18.gif
I'm sure it's hopeless and will turn out bad.
smiley11.gif

It may not so keep her going, give George a call and maybe you can work something out with getting another finishing bag for when its done. You may just have a higher abv and thats all. Give it a try and you may just have stumbled onto something that can turn out even better then the norm. Some of my best wines were batches gone bad that I had to doctor up or just came out great after the screw up!

My starting gravity was 1.130. I hope the yeast survive. I'll talk to the MM people at Winestock. The included directions are incorrect. They are not specific to the port kit. They are the wine kit instructions with the logo changed at the top. I read the wine log, too. I just did not read far enough down. The first steps showed 'added the juice bags'. I forgot they made a double batch. I won't dump it. I'll just see what happens.

The yeast will survive as there are a few kits that have an even higher starting sg then that like Ice wine kits were the starting sg is around 1.160.
If it makes it to an sg of 1 you will be around 17 abv and the yeast for this kit has a tolerance which could take it below that to dry so you may need that f-pack.

That was my thought. It will ferment out too dry. I plan to fortify with brandy or everclear.

I would call George about getting another f-pack or PM him, I do believe you will want it.

I racked to secondary on Sunday night. I'm making an attempt to salvage this. It is trying my patience though. Raisins kept getting stuck in the spigot when draining to the carboy. I added the supplied oak chips.

This can't be saved. I'll be pouring it out. I talked with George and the Mosti folks at WineStock.
smiley6.gif
I hope the ants and the bugs enjoy it as I pour it on the ground.

I guess it isfermenting or at least the air lock is bubbling. The flavor pack is a finished product. It cannot be added during active primary fermentation. It must be added after the first pack is stabilized.

Nino told me to replace the kit. No way to salvage. Now if customs will just release my shipment
smiley7.gif
, I will be able to replace it.

I would still let it go and see what happens if I were you if it is fermenting, what do you have to loose? Thats awesome that MM and George are replacing the product even though it is not neithers fault. That is 2 greatmen working together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We still need to set you up with a warehouse here George. Clinton County, NY has so much cross border business that there are shipping expediters to speed up customs crossings. NovaBus has just built an assembly plant here in town to put together the buses to avoid customs problems. The plant covers about 10 acres to begin with. Bombardier builds high speed transit trains here also (Canadian).

I'm very grateful they are replacing it. I was pretty disappointed in myself for this. I was all excited and goofed it. I need to slow down and pay attention. Live and learn.

That is great that they are repacing it! Kudos to George and Nino! Fantastic customer service.
smiley32.gif

I resurrected my Frank-n-Port. I added 3 cups of corn sugar and added 375ml of both Everclear and E&J Brandy XO. We'll see how it turns out after bottle aging for a while.

I'm drinking the replacement Port Kit now. Good stuff. I bottled half the batch as normal. The other half I stepped up with Brandy and Everclear. Very tasty. I had a bottle of the first batch a little while back. Not bad either but I can tellthe difference.

The sweetness is different. I may have neglected it by letting it sit in the carboy. Could it be slightly oxidized?

Back