Mosti Mondiale La Bodega Port (Double Batch!)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look at the bag in the pick. I estimated it to be ~750ml but it could have been closer to 1L. I didn't measure it. Sounds like they made smaller F-Packs for some reason.

Ya Mike the bag in the pic looks bigger....i`m guess these bags are 500 to 750 ml`s.... I called MM back when i got home,wasn`t happy with her answers,and i can see the bags...there was a # on the pouch ,but it was close to closing and there was nobody to assist,she said call back tomorrow..she did say at one time the essance was all in one pouch

Well just a quick update on my batch, I fermented them both separately as I don't have a fermenter large enough yet. I added two very ripe bananas once fermentation started. I also chopped up one package of the raisins for each batch and left the other package whole. If I were to do this again I would chop up both packages of raisins as it appeared to extract from the chopped ones better. This is only an observation as I didn't do any trials for comparison. I also upped the sg once it fell to 1.05 to 1.07. Not a huge increase but enough to bring up the alcohol a bit more to avoid aving to add too much brandy at the end. I had no problems fermenting to dry.

Racked to secondary, let most of the lees and sediment drop out. Added supplied oak and left for about a month. I didn't find that there was enough oak so I added 50g more to the whole batch. Topped up the 6.5 gallon of arboy with 2 and a half bottles of brandy. My thoughts are that the higher alcohol will help extract more from the oak.

Today I will taste and rack off the oak as the chips have fallen to the bottom and has been about a month. If I am happy with the oak I am going to use the supplied clarifies, then rack off. Add the remaining 1 and a half bottles of brandy then add the all the f packs. Then I plan to let it rest in carboy for a year, making sulphite additions as needed then filter and bottle.

Well just a quick update on my batch, I fermented them both separately as I don't have a fermenter large enough yet. I added two very ripe bananas once fermentation started. I also chopped up one package of the raisins for each batch and left the other package whole. If I were to do this again I would chop up both packages of raisins as it appeared to extract from the chopped ones better. This is only an observation as I didn't do any trials for comparison. I also upped the sg once it fell to 1.05 to 1.07. Not a huge increase but enough to bring up the alcohol a bit more to avoid aving to add too much brandy at the end. I had no problems fermenting to dry.

Racked to secondary, let most of the lees and sediment drop out. Added supplied oak and left for about a month. I didn't find that there was enough oak so I added 50g more to the whole batch. Topped up the 6.5 gallon of arboy with 2 and a half bottles of brandy. My thoughts are that the higher alcohol will help extract more from the oak.

Today I will taste and rack off the oak as the chips have fallen to the bottom and has been about a month. If I am happy with the oak I am going to use the supplied clarifies, then rack off. Add the remaining 1 and a half bottles of brandy then add the all the f packs. Then I plan to let it rest in carboy for a year, making sulphite additions as needed then filter and bottle.

Tyronshoolace I just started a single batch of the LaBodega. This is my first time doing a port. I am not going to fortify but I am planning to bulk age for at least 6 month. My confusion is at what point I am supposed to add the f-packs? Is that before the bulk aging or after? Also it looks like that the f-packs will bring this kit over 3 gallons so it might not fit into a 3 gallon carboy anymore. How did you address this problem?

I plan to put my f- packs in after clarification and before bulk age. That way the final wine and the f-pack have a good while to mingle and to work better together.

As far as the carboy issue is that I did a double and I have a 6.5 gallon that is pretty full now. I will likely separate it into smaller vessels. A normal smaller carboy plus a few 1 gallons in order to hold it all.

If I didn't have a gallon carboys I would probably just put the excess in a 1.5 litre bottle with airlock. Use as many smaller bottles you need in order to reduce the amount of air contact you are getting as I dont think this port is meant to be a Tawney.

Let me know if you have any other questions, my disclaimer is that I am no where near expert status but might be able to help you along

I plan to put my f- packs in after clarification and before bulk age. That way the final wine and the f-pack have a good while to mingle and to work better together.

As far as the carboy issue is that I did a double and I have a 6.5 gallon that is pretty full now. I will likely separate it into smaller vessels. A normal smaller carboy plus a few 1 gallons in order to hold it all.

If I didn't have a gallon carboys I would probably just put the excess in a 1.5 litre bottle with airlock. Use as many smaller bottles you need in order to reduce the amount of air contact you are getting as I dont think this port is meant to be a Tawney.

Let me know if you have any other questions, my disclaimer is that I am no where near expert status but might be able to help you along

I noticed that the instructions say if you plan on bulk aging to hold off on the clarifying agents. Not sure why. I can also confirm that you cannot fit the f-pack into the 3 gallon carboy. At least I can't.

I wouldn't think that the F pack and wine would fit in the 3 Gal, hopefully you don't have too much problems finding smaller containers to put the excess into for now. Excess is a good problem to have lol.

I'm not certain but I would think holding off on using the clarifyers would be to see if it will clear on it's own. Most wines with enough time can clear on their own, its just that some people that make kits want to get it into bottle as soon as possible rather than letting it settle on it's own.

The reason I plan to use the clarifyers before bulk ageing is that I want to reduce the amount of sediment that will drop after adding the F packs to try not to lose too much of the F pack goodness.

I added the F Packs after the wine was clear. I did add some sorbate as well although it probably wasn't needed with the 19% ABV. I ended up bulk agin in a 5 gallon and 3 gallon carboy for 1 year before bottling. At the 1 year mark it was fantastic. I am now almost 2.5 yrs old and I have only about 36 bottles (375's) left!!!!!

If price was not an objection, is there any significant advantage of using better XO brandy, like Hennessy, Remy Martin or Courvoisier to fortify the kit ?

Or VSOP brandy of one of the aforementioned maker is good enough ?

I doubt seriously if you could really taste the difference but your wallet would certainly feel the difference. Last time I used a 50/50 mix of E&J VSOP and XO. This time I am going with pure VSOP. The XO had a bit too much vanilla profile for me although it was still an awesome wine as has been said numerous times before. The VSOP has less vanilla. Price is right as well. I picked up 750ml bottles back during the holidays for ~$8 a bottle. You can also find these in 1.5L quantities at good prices as well if you look around a bit.

Thanks for your prompt response. I'll put E&J VSOP into the consideration when it is time to fortify the port kit.

Having trouble clearing my wine. Been in the carboy after fining agents for two weeks. It's possible I didn't degas enough. Should I degas again or just wait it out? Thought about adding super kleer but just not sure which route to go since this problem is new to me.

What is the wine temp currently? Keep it warm, ~74 degrees F until it clears. It can take as long as several weeks on a stubborn wine.

What is the wine temp currently? Keep it warm, ~74 degrees F until it clears. It can take as long as several weeks on a stubborn wine.

Well, I had it much cooler than 74 degrees. Ultimately I think I didn't degas enough. I decided to rack to another carboy and degas again. So far so good.

That's a good call with the temp. I didn't end up racking and clarifying mine yet. I thought it needed some more oak yet so I put some brandy and a little more oak in on hopes to get a little different extraction

I guess I'm going to have to bulk age this for a while. The wine at the top is clear but there is white-ish fluffy-ish sediment at the bottom and some suspended along the walls. This is after a couple rackings. I used a little of the F pack to top the carboy off and also added the sorbate. Anyone see any issues with this?

Patience or procrastination is your friend in this hobby. Sounds like its clearing just fine. Don't rush this!

Latest posts

Back