Kumquat plus tropical fruit

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Jal5, Mar 7, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

  1. Mar 7, 2019 #1

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    i started this Dragons Blood variant on Feb24 using kumquat plus frozen tropical fruit mix from walmart. Followed the DB recipe. For a 3g batch.

    Yeast started fine EC 1118 and went great for two days then stopped. I restarted this must with another yeast batch that again went for two days and stopped. Now I am puzzled what could cause this and what to do. I am at my daughters home so I don’t have my hydrometer to take any readings. Must is still sweet and tart with pulp from the fruit suspended. I did not add lemon juice to this one since I knew the kumquats had plenty of acid. It stayed a week in primary then was racked before starting the second yeast starter and now it’s under airlock with no bubbling for two days.
    All suggestions are welcome.
     
  2. Mar 9, 2019 #2

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    All suggestions are welcome.

    My idea is to add more sugar and do one more yeast starter.
     
  3. Mar 9, 2019 #3

    Stressbaby

    Stressbaby

    Stressbaby

    Just a Member

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2012
    Messages:
    1,980
    Likes Received:
    766
    I'd like to see a pH. You don't say how much fruit you used; while an individual kumquat is plenty acidic, it would take a LOT of kumquats juiced to equal the amount of lemon juice used in DB/SP.

    And before adding sugar I'd like to know what the starting gravity was and what it is now.
     
  4. Mar 9, 2019 #4

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    Fruit: 4# mixed frozen mango-pineapple-peach plus 5# kumquats fresh cut in half. All ffruit placed in bags and squeezed per DB recipe. Didn’t have a hydrometer so no SG readings. I know I used a little less than a 4 # sugar package though so say 3.5 #. Tastes a little alcohol and not sweet at all. Tart more than anything.
     
  5. Mar 12, 2019 #5

    tradowsk

    tradowsk

    tradowsk

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2018
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    36
    Gender:
    Male
    Question: how do you know fermentation stopped if you didn't have a hydrometer to take successive SG readings?
     
  6. Mar 13, 2019 #6

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    It was completely “flat” with no evidence of gas at all. Best practices would be of course to take SG readings but I did not have a hydrometer with me on this trip.
     
  7. Mar 13, 2019 #7

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    I ended up making a yeast starter per directions from eckraus.com and now we are into 48 hr of definite fermentation with adding more sugar too.
     
  8. Mar 18, 2019 #8

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    This wine is chugging along now under airlock in a 3 g bottle. ABV may be strong in this one.
     
    tradowsk likes this.
  9. Mar 26, 2019 #9

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    1C1D08AB-4EE6-46E6-934E-0A667D28D5E1.jpeg Racked today and added kmeta plus chitosan to help clear it. Very orange colored, tastes strong etoh and tart at this point. Some light lees but not much upon racking.
     
  10. Apr 12, 2019 #10

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    This wine has been nothing but trouble. Now even after chitosan/kieselsol its hardly clearing. Today is 5 days since adding the clearing agents.

    Would another round of
    C/K help or try something else?
    Joe
     
  11. Apr 12, 2019 #11

    Johnd

    Johnd

    Johnd

    Large Member WMT Supporter

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2015
    Messages:
    4,809
    Likes Received:
    4,298
    Location:
    S Louisiana
    Before adding more clearing agents, I'd try the following:

    1. Increase the temps of the storage area to the mid-70's (if it's not already)
    2. After the temps come up, make sure the wine is degassed
    3. Add 1 tsp / gallon pectic enzyme, stir in well, see if there's any improvement, if not, repeat #3 a time or two.
     
  12. Apr 12, 2019 #12

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Jal5

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2017
    Messages:
    248
    Likes Received:
    119
    Gender:
    Male
    Thx John. Temp is no problem. Will try the degassing and more pectic enzyme. Wine is at my daughters house in FL so I am guiding her thru the steps.

    Joe
     
    Johnd likes this.

Share This Page