KNOW WHAT YOU ARE USING?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wade,

Gave it up back in 2000. Now I'm a computer geek for the Navy.

Thanks Waldo and George that was a good piece to post
I will take it to heart
smiley2.gif

I'm a bit confused. Yes I'm a new wine maker and though I was really going good, I thought until I read this. By the way I'm on my 2nd kit. I use the cleaner from Georges Kit for Cleaning. I use the Potassium Meta for sanitizing that also came with the kits. PER THE INSTRUCTION. Am I missing something or we over thinking what to do. Tell me what I'm missing. Is it cost, humm cant be that ? Or perhasp there is much more I just dont know about Wine makingand perhasp I'm really not cleaning or sanitizing.

oneram
If you are being sanitary and sanitizing with K-Meta at the recommended strength, you are doing all that is necessary. It's been done this way for many years and will work for many more. Follow the kit directions and you will be good to go. Don't bother to overthink things at this point. Edited by: appleman

KISS Principle

Visually clean and then sanitize with K-meta or Na-meta

Sorry for the confusion, oneram. Squeeky clean and rinsed with k-meta is the way to go for wine making. That will not technically or legally "sanitize" the equipment, but that level of sanitization is not necessary for wine, nor is it practical to achieve. The only way to sanitize a must (chemically - gamma rays work great, but I don't have any) will ruin it.

The procedures we use, when done correctly, will drive all harmful-to-wine microorganisms into dormancy. As long as they are dormant, they can't cause any harm.

Wow there is an awful lot of info here. However as a newbie to
winemaking, just beginning my first batch and to the forum, I am
concerned over the physical cleaning and sanitizing process. What
I mean is:

When I sanitize do I allow all equipment to drip dry completely?

How long before I use the equipment can I sanitize?

Do I sanitize the tray or whatever else I use to place the equipment on while drying?

So I am also hearing that using common dishwashing solution is not adequate for the cleaning process?

Am I being to anal in this process? I just don't want to lose my first batrch.

When I sanitize do I allow all equipment to drip dry completely?

It is not necessary to let your equipment dry completely since the small amount of K-meta left when it is wet isn't an issue and this is true with bottles also. The main objective isto remove quantities of sanitizing solutions.

How long before I use the equipment can I sanitize?

Not sure the exact time but doing it right before using provides the most protection.

Do I sanitize the tray or whatever else I use to place the equipment on while drying?

This would be best and I personally use clean towels to place my cleaned equipment on after sanitizing. The main goal would be to eliminate all chances of contamination after sanitizing.

So I am also hearing that using common dish washing solution is not adequate for the cleaning process?

It works great to clean but the issue is rinsing it properly to prevent contamination of your batch with residual soap.

Am I being to anal in this process? I just don't want to lose my first batch.

Not at all since it is the cause of many batch failures.

Peter, great stuff -- you and Masta help us all!
smiley31.gif

I'm curious though-- after I clean a carboy and set it aside, sometimes as long as a few weeks until I need it, I leave about a half-gallon of sodium meta solution in it and stopper it. When I need it, I drain that NA meta and rinse with water just before using.

Any problem with that, other than a little discoloration on the stopper, and not leaving it more than a few weeks?
smiley24.gif

(I do not re-sanitize if the aroma of the NA-meta knocks me across the room -- but if the NA-meta is only slightly detectable, I'll sanitize with a new batch of NA meta before using.)

I often do the same thing with keeping some solution in the carboy.

I also keep a little bucket sitting on a shelf with a thermometer sitting in it, which I use to punch down the caps on some 1-gallon batches. After use I rinse off the thermometer in water and throw it back into the sanitizer for the next day. How long does the sanitizer keep it's strength?

As long as it has a strong sulphur odor sang it is still ok. Unless it is full of gunk then I'd go ahead and chunk it.

Question from a newby: If we sanitize, then rinse with tap water, does that add oxygen back to the surface of the container, so that the bad bacteria are no longer dormant? Just wondering, because one of the posts here mention that they sanitize, then rinse.

Randy, in theory, yes, but you also have sulfite in the wine, and you will not be adding enough oxygenated water on the surface of the glass to have a noticable effect on the wine.

If your talking about bottles, you do not have to rinse after. Just let
drip dry on a bottle tree if you have one. The miniscule amount left
will not hurt anything! Welcome Randy.

Latest posts

Back