Kits with Fruit packages

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jboeder

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone....

I have been looking around and have not found anything on this subject, that is not to say it is not here. I was wondering if anyone had taken a kit that comes with a fruit additive and made the wine without it. For instance, a Raspberry Zin. if you leave out the raspberry does the Zin taste like regular Zin? Does the fruit base do anything to help the wine base along? In my area these kits are cheaper than the just wine base kit, usually $20.00 or more cheaper. I have looked at "The Wine Maker's Toy Store" and there straight wine kits have really nice prices. I do not know what shipping would be but hey I will give them a try.

If anyone has done this can you please let me know how the grape wine base turned out?

Thanks
James:sn

I haven't done what you are suggesting, but remember the base alone will be low in alcohol (6-8%). Some folks have commented that it is weak in taste, alcohol, and body (as I would expect). I think the base of a Mist kit is usally a bland generic version of the named wine.

Personally, if I wanted an inexpensive wine, I would buy one of the cheaper wine kits...eg Vino del Vida (from RJ Spagnols), California Connoisseur (Vineco), or Vintners Reserve (Winexpert). WE also has the cheaper Chai Maison brand, but I'm not sure about US availability.

Steve

EDIT: Just looked at the price list from last year where I buy Vineco kits...Canadian dollars...Niagara Mist $51 to $53, California Connoisseur $48 to $53, European Select $50 to $55.

Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back