WineXpert kits with f-packs

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am making my first kit that came with an f-pack, a WinExpert Traminer-Riesling. The instructions call for adding the f-pack during the stabilization and clearing step and further state that the f-pack will raise the SG of the wine to somewhere between 0.998 and 1.007, assuming I start the step with an SG of 0.996 or less. I am a little reluctant to sweeten the wine as much as indicated (the lower end would be okay but 1.007 would be too sweet for our taste). I am evaluating three alternatives and wonder what you all think about them:

1. add the f-pack as required by the instructions and hope to hit the lower end of the SG range.
2. add part of the f-pack now, let is ferment to dry and add the remaining portion during the stabilization and clearing step.
3. add all of the f-pack now and allow the wine to ferment to dry.
4. fermenting the wine to dry and "poop-canning" the f-pack.

I am leaning toward #2. Do any of you see a problem with this and why? Thank you.

waist until wine has completed per instructions. do a bench trial with the f pack using sample of about a 1/4 cup of the wine and adding 1/4 tsp of the fpack content and do taste tests.
How do you know that 1.007 is to sweet?
adding the fpac does not necessarily make the wine sweet to taste it may just balance high acidity.

Hey Rocky,

I have made enough of the whites with f-packs to know the whole f-pack is waaaay to sweet for this winemaker and I suspect you as well. Add 1/2 the f-pack now, hold on to the other half (place in refrigerator for the time being) make the wine per usual and take it all the way down to where you are ready to rack off the fines and stabilize the wine. Add the Sorbate and stir per usual, add the rest of the f-pack and top off with a similar wine as needed. You will end up with a plenty off dry wine that will pair well with any spicy dish be it Mexican, Asian, Indian. Win-win combination!

The starting SG's are usually a little too low for me, and sweet is not my thing. So I usually follow step two.

Hi Rocky. I do step 2 myself it will be very sweet if you do step 1. Myself I do 1/3 up front then add the rest at stabilization and taste as I do remember it will finish sweeter so add until your just a bit under how you like it

I think the f-packs have a ton of flavor in them that you will miss if you don't add it back. The base wines seem pretty bland (I think on purpose) so adding the f-pack makes a huge difference.

I'd go with #2, add half up front and half at stabilization.

I vote for Modified #2 - Add 1/2 of the F-Pack now, and follow Salcoco's bench test until you have the desired level of sweet.

Thanks for all the great input, Friends. I measured out the contents of the f-pack at about 750 ml. I added about 550 to the wine in the carboy and plan to ferment that to dry, i.e. about SG 0.992 or so. I will then bench test small amount of the remaining 200 ml and see what is to our (really, my bride's) liking. Neither of us like sweetness and we start to taste it around SG 0.998-0.999. Just a touch will be fine with us.

Thanks again for the help.

If I was making this kit, I would probably go with #3. (Assuming that this is the Selection Australian Traminer-Riesling.)

Steve

If I was making this kit, I would probably go with #3. (Assuming that this is the Selection Australian Traminer-Riesling.)

Steve

That is the wine that I am talking about and that is essentially what I did. I added 550 ml of the 750 ml provided and only retained 200 for later. I will be very judicious in adding any of it. I like my white at about SG 0.995.

@Rocky

How is this wine going?

I am almost taking the plunge and getting this kit with the sale going on now.
Being only 3 months old, have you tasted it, how is it?

Does anyone have experience with fermenting a white wine dry to .990, letting it age for 3 months, not using sorbate and adding the F-Pack before aging another 3 months? Then bottle?

Theoretically, if the wine clears, it's dry and the yeast has fallen out shouldn't I be fine? I'm not in a big hurry...

I don't want to use the sorbate but will if collective wisdom dictates.

Is this a recipe for disaster?

Last edited:
Are you a gambling man? If you don't mind uncorking 30 bottles of wine and then dealing with the cleanup of a bottle bomb you are certainly welcome to roll the dice. It might be permanently stable or temporarily stable for that 3 months after you add the f-pack or it could start fermenting in the carboy. Lots of fun possibilities to worry about or you could just add the sorbate and put it to rest and move on to the next batch......

Ok, #cmason1957 and #ibglowin - I concede. I'll use the sorbate. Although I am a gambling man, I don't knowingly engage in foolery. The last thing I need is another mess to clean up. I'd be willing to mail you a bottle of this WE Eclipse Riesling if interested. PM your address and I'll make it happen this summer.

Ok, #cmason1957 and #ibglowin - I concede. I'll use the sorbate. Although I am a gambling man, I don't knowingly engage in foolery. The last thing I need is another mess to clean up. I'd be willing to mail you a bottle of this WE Eclipse Riesling if interested. PM your address and I'll make it happen this summer.
No need for that. I got plenty in my basement already. Now if it were an Amarone, if course, those don't get an fpak nor do they get sorbate.

Does anyone have experience with fermenting a white wine dry to .990, letting it age for 3 months, not using sorbate and adding the F-Pack before aging another 3 months? Then bottle?

Theoretically, if the wine clears, it's dry and the yeast has fallen out shouldn't I be fine? I'm not in a big hurry...

I don't want to use the sorbate but will if collective wisdom dictates.

Is this a recipe for disaster?

If you’ll sterile filter (.45 microns I think) to remove all of the yeast before backsweetening, you can safely do what you suggest without sorbate.

I

i have a buon vino super jet but the #1 filers are only 0.5 not .45 - won’t work?

To be clear, the Buon Vino super jet filters, as far as I know from owning one, come in three different sizes. #1 is coarse and has the largest openings, #2 is for polishing and is tighter than #1, the #3’s are the ones BV calls “sterile” at .5 microns. Everything I’ve ever read says .45 microns is required, yet their “sterile” pads are .5 microns.

I’ve often wondered what would happen using .5’s in your scenario instead of .45’s, but I don’t know the answer. Here’s an interesting read:

https://winemakermag.com/wine-wizard/365-how-do-you-sterile-filter-your-wine

Latest posts

Back