Other Kits, Barrels, and Kmeta

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutstix

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice on sulphites, 23L barrel aging, and red kit wines. Right now I do not test for sulphites, I know I should (I am saving for a Vinmetrica). Those who test sulphites and use a 3 month barrel ageing, what average amount of Kmeta should I be using for this 23L barrel time on a red wine? I currently use 1/8 tsp approximately every 4 months when it is in glass, and I use an extra 1/4 tsp for the three months barrel aging. Is this ok guess work? I would really like to get a couple of kits bottled before I am able to afford the Vinmetrica. Any advice/knowledge appreciated!
ts

I have seen SO2 levels go from ~45ppm to ~10-15ppm in 3 months in a 23L Vadai. If you use the sulfite calculator over at winemaker mag it will tell you how much you need to bring it back up to the proper level based on pH of the wine. In case you haven't guessed it yet, its a LOT more than the 1/4 tsp you have been adding. More like 1-1.5gm depending again on the pH of the wine.

Thanks Mike! I was hoping that you would chime in. That is just what I thought, I better not bottle anything until I get my sulfite testing in check. I wonder, once I get a Vinmetrica, and test some of my bottled kits that were completed in the last year. How feasible would it be to uncork 30 bottles into a primary or carboy and add sulfite then rebottle? I am sure I have a lot of wine that is very low in sulfites!!
ts

I have done that with a bunch of my kit wines that I wanted to go back and add some Tannin. It works, or should I say its work! Just make sure you use a new cork to reseal.

Latest posts

Back