WineXpert Kits #1 & #2 tasting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jspang

Junior
Reaction score
Last night the urge was too much, I just had to do a tasting of the first two kits we did this past early summer; started the kits in May and bottled in June. I know it’s still a little early but the first kit - Winexpert French Merlot still had a strong sulfite smell and was a very weak wine; I would call it a low end table wine at this point. Hopefully it will improve; I know at this point I will not touch it for another 6 – 9 months. The next kit we did about 2 weeks after was Winexpert Australian Cabernet Sauvignon and this actually was pretty good. Not anywhere near the sulfite smell the other had and was good enough drink. I will also let this one sit another 6 months. Is this normal for these kits? In the past few months we have used the kits with grape packs or raisons and just by the looks of them at bottling they look much better. Thanks in advance for your comments.

What brand of wineexpert did you use? The VR and world vineyard series, especially the reds will be a light thin tasting wine, but will improve at about 2 years. The VR whites should be very good at about 3-6 months and continue to improve. As far as the smell goes that too will go away, but decanting is always a good idea.
VC

Yep,

Second the decanting, always always. Whatever your opening, 30-45 minutes will make it the best it can be.

Both were Winexpert Selection International #3124 & #3251. Good to know the sulfite smell will go away, that just ruins it obviously. I can handle the thin wine for this batch but not the sulfite smell.

I find the grape skin kits to be far superior myself but I like a big chwy red wine.

Finished off the French Merlot last night - decanting isgood advise, thanks. I agree with the grape skins too, that is all I'm going to use and to be honest Cellar Crafts kits have been what I have been using lately and they all seem to look good, later in 2010 I'll know for sure. I would really like to venture out and try a fresh fruit sometime but not sure at this point if I'm ready for that, probably not as hard as it seems so I'll keep reading on here and maybe sometime take the leap.

Making fresh fruit wines is much easier then it seems and they taste really fantastic, especially if you get the fruit cheap or free. Although I am the first to admit I prefer CC kits, don't discount the ones with raisins (Mosti Kits), they make a terrific wine. Also the limited edition kits are fantastic as well, skins are not.
VC

vcasey said:
Making fresh fruit wines is much easier then it seems and they taste really fantastic, especially if you get the fruit cheap or free. Although I am the first to admit I prefer CC kits, don't discount the ones with raisins (Mosti Kits), they make a terrific wine. Also the limited edition kits are fantastic as well, skins are not.
VC

Thanks, I may givethe fresh fruita try sometime next year. I did a Mosti w/raisins last month - Amarone and that did look good when I bottled it. I have 3 Amarone kits bottled now and two Barolo so next year at this time I hope to be enjoying some really good wine. So far I'm with you on the CC kits.

Wade posted: I find the grape skin kits to be far superior myself but I like a big chwy red wine.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Uh, Wade, are you saying you leave the grape skins in the wine when you bottle your reds???
smiley2.gif

LOL, sorry, I couldn't resist.

I made some WEOriginal Merlot inFeb. 2009.4 months out I was not impressed. Everyone kept telling me to not fret about it and that it is too young for a red. Last week I opened a bottle and it was like magic. Much, much better. Amazing how much aging helped. Much fruitier. Don't give up on it.

jspang said:
vcasey said:
Making fresh fruit wines is much easier then it seems and they taste really fantastic, especially if you get the fruit cheap or free. Although I am the first to admit I prefer CC kits, don't discount the ones with raisins (Mosti Kits), they make a terrific wine. Also the limited edition kits are fantastic as well, skins are not.VC

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Thanks, I may give the fresh fruit a try sometime next year. I did a Mosti w/raisins last month - Amarone and that did look good when I bottled it. I have 3 Amarone kits bottled now and two Barolo so next year at this time I hope to be enjoying some really good wine. So far I'm with you on the CC kits.</SPAN>
WOW! 3 Amarones and 2 Barolo!! You have good taste and maybe a huge wallet!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

hannabarn said:
jspang said:
vcasey said:
Making fresh fruit wines is much easier then it seems and they taste really fantastic, especially if you get the fruit cheap or free. Although I am the first to admit I prefer CC kits, don't discount the ones with raisins (Mosti Kits), they make a terrific wine. Also the limited edition kits are fantastic as well, skins are not.VC

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Thanks, I may givethe fresh fruita try sometime next year. I did a Mosti w/raisins last month - Amarone and that did look good when I bottled it. I have 3 Amarone kits bottled now and two Barolo so next year at this time I hope to be enjoying some really good wine. So far I'm with you on the CC kits.</SPAN>
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Maybe not so huge a wallet now!
smiley36.gif
I am finding myself wine rich and wallet poor.
smiley4.gif

Maybe thats why we all get along so well...... We are all in the same boat on that one.

mark500 said:
I made some WEOriginal Merlot inFeb. 2009.4 months out I was not impressed. Everyone kept telling me to not fret about it and that it is too young for a red. Last week I opened a bottle and it was like magic. Much, much better. Amazing how much aging helped. Much fruitier. Don't give up on it.

Thanks, I'm just going to sit tight on this one and wait, maybe next summer try it again. Glad to know it should improve, thanks!

admiral said:
hannabarn said:
jspang said:
vcasey said:

<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 9pt; mso-ansi-: EN" lang=EN>Thanks, I may givethe fresh fruita try sometime next year. I did a Mosti w/raisins last month - Amarone and that did look good when I bottled it. I have 3 Amarone kits bottled now and two Barolo so next year at this time I hope to be enjoying some really good wine. So far I'm with you on the CC kits.</SPAN>
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Maybe not so huge a wallet now!
smiley36.gif
I am finding myself wine rich and wallet poor.
smiley4.gif

Yes, I have some good stuff in my cellar now, just waiting on the day I can try them!

Latest posts

Back