Kit WineTesting

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James

Reaction score
I'm sure if I needed to be doing certain tests on the kit wine I've been making then these tests would be part of the instructions. However, I amcurious if testing sulfite levels before bottlling to get it just right is a good idea? There seem to be variables on the addition of k meta depending onhow long you bulk age, how often you rack your wine, and maybe a little variable between kit makers. Would this be a test you long term kit makers would recommend or is it not necessary? Are there other tests you feel are important?

James

S02 is important although many do without it. After the wine is made with everything included, I typically bulk age for 3 months or longer but at 3 months I add another 1/4 tsp of K-Meta and bottle or rack and age longer. If Im aging longer than I will test the Free S02 before bottling.

If you are making a kit, follow their instructions and add their included packets when they instruct to. Most of them recommend if you will age the wine more than a year, add another 1/4 tsp of k-meta before bottling for a six gallon batch. The kits have had their juice balanced already so no further tests are needed. When you get into country wines and wines from grapes, then you need to perform the tests yourself and make the necessary adjustments.

Back