WineXpert Kit Contents- Limited Ed. Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

termini

Reaction score
I have a quick question regarding the Limited Edition Australian Riesling: Does the kit only come with the large fruit juice bag? After we mixed it all up and let it get started in the primary fermenter, I noticed that there was not an F- pack. It was a very large quantity juice pack.
Is this particular to a Riesling kit? It didn't look like anything else could have fit in the box anyways. Any help would be great.

I would read the instructions and see if in any of the steps it says to add the F-pack if it doesn't then I would say it is not going to have one.

Generally a Riesling kit will finish dry so no f-pack is required or included. If you want just a bit of sweetness in yours, add a bit of sugar water after stabilization.

There is no F-pack on this kit and it will be dry when done. If you want it semi-dry then you will have to back sweeten with a simple syrup consisting of a 2/1 ratio of boiling water and sugar with sugar being the bigger quantity, mix well and then let cool and add to wine and taste frequently so as not to over sweeten. Remember that wine will be perceived as sweeter later as the wine smoothes out and that oak fades with time.

Thanks! I do like sweet wine so I might consider maybe bottling half regular and then backsweeten the last batch of bottles. Not having had a ton of wine tasting experience, I am i for a boat load with batch of Black Rasberry Merlot, White Srawberry, and now the Riesling. My younger brother, who has a fair amount of wine drinking behind him, told me to keep drinking, and as time goes by, I will start to gravitate towards the drier side, because now, I really do enjoy the sweets and especially Ports.

Termini, your younger brother is wise. This is basically how most start liking white and fruit wines then transpire into reds, I know this first hand and can offer a suggestion. As soon as you can afford it, make a rec wine, preferably a bigger kit like an All-juice Mosti and get it aged as in a year or 2 you will be wanting it. I made a ton of wines and then discovered that I wanted some red wine and had none in my cellar and reds take much more time to age.

Termini,
Your younger brother is wise as Wade says, but that's not the whole story.

The great part about wine drinking is the variety is infinite and as you try all kinds of them, combine them with food, time of day, type of celebration, summer winter, hot days or cold, you will find yourself selecting wines for the occasion and they wll vary to include dry, sweet, big, light - the entire range. And, always, they are best shared.
smiley2.gif
Enjoy!

Jack,
Below the descr on the mfg's website, It tells whether a wine will be dry, off-dry, etc as well as if it includes oak. I attached the link for Winexpert's descr of the Austr Riesling which shows it is dry whereas the Pacific Quartet is "off-dry". All the kits are designed to ferment to dryness. Usually those that "off-dry" or "sweet" have an Fpack included. Sometimes the descr mentions the Fpack (like in the SelectionOriginal on the Luna Bianca) but it doesn't always specifically say it. "Fpack" is a Winexpert term; other mfgs call it "conditioner".In either case they contain sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation in addition to the sorbate pack that always comes with the kits.

You can also buy "wine conditioner" to sweeten with--it's a thick sweet liquid that has sorbate in it. If you add sugar/water to sweeten, I would add more sorbate--the packet that comes with the kit most likely won't be sufficient.
http://www.winexpertusa.com/limited_edition/Edited by: Jackie

My experience with the wine conditioner has not been good! I have found that when I used it the wine turned cloudy and I had to wait a few days for it to clear up again. Now i use sugar syrup!

Jack on Rainy, Under each wine when you click on this product there is a description on top and also tells what level of oak, sweetenss, and if it has an F-pack.
<table ="maintable" border="2" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td>Item Number</td>
<td>327508</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Description</td>
<td>

Austrailan Riesling

Medium bodied, crisp and refreshing, with aromas of white fruits, juicy apple, and the perfume of spring blossoms.

16 litres of premium grape juice, concentrate and ingredients. Equipment sold separately. Makes 30 - 750ml Bottles (6 gallons).

Winexpert™
wines are made from only the finest 100% varietal grape juice and grape
concentrates from among the world’s premier vineyards. Many kits
include specially chosen toasted oak chips for barrel-aged character
and increased depth.</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Current Price</td>
<td>$114.99</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Status</td>
<td>Stocked</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Order</td>
<td>Order</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Picture</td>
<td>
%5Cimages%5CLE_2005.jpg
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Flavor</td>
<td>Riesling</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Brand</td>
<td>Winexpert Limited Edition 2008</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Manufacturer's Description</td>
<td>Medium
bodied, crisp and refreshing, with aromas of white fruits, juicy apple,
and the perfume of spring blossoms. It’s wonderfully drinkable, but
still shows depth of flavour with minerals and a bracing backbone of
acidity and structure. The main difference between a German and an
Australian Riesling is that Australian Riesling tends to be drier. The
Australian version exhibits the characteristics of the grape that we
expect: the perfume, the complexity and the zest.</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Sweetness</td>
<td>0</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>F-Pack</td>
<td>N</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Oak Type </td>
<td>None </td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Oak Intensity </td>
<td>0</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Minimum Recomended Aging </td>
<td>6 - 12 Months</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Wine Peaks At </td>
<td>1 - 2 Years</td></tr></t></table>

Termini, mine did not come with an F-pack. The Australian rieslings, I have been told, are a somewhat drier rieslings than say the German riesling.

Back