Vineco Kit age - do they go bad?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Racked yesterday for bulk aging -- ABV did hit 13%.

Added 1 Med+ toast American oak spiral.

Plan to go min 6months -- but probably closer to 9-12months.

Cheers!

was surprised by relatively low OG of 1.084

definitely hit the 6gal mark spot in with H20 too...
I just mixed my vineco Amarone kit I got at the end of last year. I stopped around 5.5 gal to get 1.096. Seems a little weak doesn’t it?

I just mixed my vineco Amarone kit I got at the end of last year. I stopped around 5.5 gal to get 1.096. Seems a little weak doesn’t it?
Do the skins contain sugar as well? They take a while to come into solution have I been told

Do the skins contain sugar as well? They take a while to come into solution have I been told
It depends on the skin pack. The dried skins that come with FWK do not (AFAIK) contain an appreciable about of sugar. The jammy ones that come with another brand apparently do.

A real Amarone often has ABV above 15%, but this is a kit, so the amount of realism/accuracy involved is open to question. To keep the acid in balance I'd reconstitute to 23 liters and chaptalize with table sugar.

This kit has the wet skins and after it set for a while and a lot of stirring, it raised it about .006. I stopped adding water when it was right at 1.090 and the last reading I took was 1.096. Ph was also high. 3.77.

Back