Other Kieselsol solidifying

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with receiving Kieselsol in kits in a solid or semi-solid state? I have had a few instances of this and it is slightly aggravating. The Kieselsol seems to work okay but it is a pain to get out of the pouch. I usually have to scrape it off with a knife or spoon. I don't know if this is related to the age of the chemical or temperature. Does not ever seem to happen to the Chitosan.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I has received such before. It's was due to low temperature. They should be replaced

Have found it cloudy, that’s about all.
Yes, Joe, I have seen it from clear liquid, to cloudy liquid, a mixture to cloudy liquid and solid, to an opaque solid. I have sent a question to Label Peelers and I will let you know what they say. @Swedeman seems to think I should not use it if it is not liquid. I may have to pony up some bucks for a 1-quart bottle of the stuff.

I will let everyone know what Label Peelers replies.

According to the supplier data sheet "Prevent exposure to temperatures below 32°F (0°C), as freezing causes irreversible precipitation of the silica and will affect performance."

Very interesting. I have sent an email to Label Peelers with the issue. I know that they refrigerate the FWK kits and I wonder at what temperature they hold it. Seems doubtful that they would hit freezing but they may.

Thanks for the information.

According to the supplier data sheet "Prevent exposure to temperatures below 32°F (0°C), as freezing causes irreversible precipitation of the silica and will affect performance."
Precisely, here's what a Winexpert technician mailed me: "Use clear, liquid kieselsol. The cloudy one has been frozen somewhere in transit and won’t work as well. "

Has anyone had an issue with receiving Kieselsol in kits in a solid or semi-solid state? I have had a few instances of this and it is slightly aggravating. The Kieselsol seems to work okay but it is a pain to get out of the pouch. I usually have to scrape it off with a knife or spoon. I don't know if this is related to the age of the chemical or temperature. Does not ever seem to happen to the Chitosan.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I have and after notifying supplier they were replaced for free

A W.E. kit that I just transferred to secondary came with 2 doses of kieselsol and 1 large dose of chitosan, I was supposed to add the second dose of kieselsol an hr after mixing in the chitosan but got busy and forgot, it's been 24 hrs, would there be a benefit to adding it now.. I added the 1st dose of kieselsol 24 hrs prior to adding the chitosan per instruction. Any thoughts would be great.

Back