Vineco Kenridge Limited from Feb 2010 - Spanish Monastrell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveM

Reaction score
So my LHBS still has this one from last year's limiteds. Has anyone made this kit? I realize that it would only be 1 year old at best...but any comments? At 1 year after the production date, would it be okay to purchase and make this kit, or would I be running into "spoilage" territory?

I have not made this kit, but my previous experience in making "expired" kits has been very positive, regardless of manufacturer or style. I once made a kit that was 3 years old (two years past expiration) and everything turned out fine.

That being said, the main two things you should be concerned with are:

- the storage conditions (temperature) where the kit was kept
- the expiration date of the yeast

The hotter the storage, or the more wild swings in temperature from season to season, would turn me off. If the wine kit was stored above room temperature for any extended amount of time, I would back off. Expired packets of yeast are easy to replace.

Hope that helps!

Dave:

I'm not a big advocate of people making expired kits; however, I would probably make this kit, especially if it came at a bit of a discount, and I knew I could get it started fairly soon.

Steve

1 year old is not really expired IMHO. If it was 18mo old I would think twice about it. I would jump on it if you can get a good price on it!

I think I'm going to do it. The price is really, really, really enticing. I'll just make it right away. Thanks for your help everyone.

There are actually 2 of them left. hmmmmm.

I think I'm going to do it. The price is really, really, really enticing. I'll just make it right away. Thanks for your help everyone.

There are actually 2 of them left. hmmmmm.
If you think you're going to like it, get them both. Do they have any other leftovers, like the Italian Primitivo/Syrah? Not that I live anywhere near Calgary.

Steve

They had a Primitivo/Syrah left over in August, so I picked it up. I promptly made it and bottled sometime in November. Tasted great then...can't wait until it ages more.

Yeah, it might be a bit of a commute from ON to AB.

My LHBS is great for having leftover limiteds. I usually order the ones that I really want, then wait and see which ones are left over a few months later...and get those ones at really good prices. $80 for this Monastrell.

They had a Primitivo/Syrah left over in August, so I picked it up. I promptly made it and bottled sometime in November. Tasted great then...can't wait until it ages more.

Yeah, it might be a bit of a commute from ON to AB.

My LHBS is great for having leftover limiteds. I usually order the ones that I really want, then wait and see which ones are left over a few months later...and get those ones at really good prices. $80 for this Monastrell.

One thing I noticed from my local fob is that if there is a kit that was a limited edition and it made it to 1 year old unfermented that his customers did not like it.That being said, I have done 2 or three older LE kits and 1 of them I really liked ALOT!

Digger

One thing I noticed from my local fob is that if there is a kit that was a limited edition and it made it to 1 year old unfermented that his customers did not like it.That being said, I have done 2 or three older LE kits and 1 of them I really liked ALOT!
From running an FoP, some folks won't buy an LE kit. "What if I like it, and I can't get any more?" Also, to properly appreciate most of the wines, you have to let them age quite a while. So the "good winemakers" won't know that they LOVE it for more than a year.

Steve

Back