Kegging your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeere5220

Farmer Member
Reaction score
One of the local brew shops suggested I might try "kegging" my early-drinker wines instead of bottling them, like the W.E. Island mist kits. He said it's a lot less work, and if you are going to drink it right away it's a good solution. He said he would use a CO2 cartridge with about 4 lbs pressure to push the wine out of the keg for drinking. Not enough pressure to carbonate the wine, just enough to get it to flow out of the keg.

Anyone every done this? I've never heard of it before, but figured someone here would know the pros and cons.

my friend started this 2 or 3 months ago and it is some of the best tasting wine ever, granted it is a whole different taste than aged and out of the bottle, but.... it is very tasty

I can see a Mist style wine but I dont think Id feel safe doing this with a Cab or something as some C02 will be introduced into the wine and that small amount will not be noticed or would enhance a white or mist wine it would not be appreciated in something like a big red. Ive kegged some beer at lower pressures like that and they will get carbonated slightly depending on the temps they are succumbed to.

Wade is right, everything he has done is a mist type wine.

Kinda curious about this myself... I'd actually be interested in a little carbonation, but how much CO2 is going to be required? Is there a nice little handy system for smaller quantities - don't exactly want to add a tap and another 10lb co2 bottle to the house - just for one (thinking minikeg).

I agree with the above. But, I think I heard that if you push it thru with nitro NOT CO2 it will work without carbonating it. Also, you only want a couple of#'s to push out.

My local brew shop also suggested kegging Island Mist Blackberry as another customer was doing that. They like the low carbinated taste in the summer. Another shop, Porter's brew shopp had RJS raspberry kegged in the shop and gave us a sample carbinated and one bottled. The carbinated was much more exciting. I do believe drinking the carbinated one will get you feeling a little dizzy a lot quicker. LOL.

I put some of my mist type wines in the wine on Tap bags .I even went and bought the replacement stoppers for the kit bags so I can reuse them . They don't carbonate the wine but much easier and faster bottling the kits we will be drinking quickly.

I've started using the wine on tap as well, Darlene, for the mist kits - very convenient, less bottling ( I use one bag and get about 18 bottles for taking elsewhere/giving away) and the stuff stays surprisingly fresh in the bag.

We like the Mylar bags / box wine bladders with the taps - so much nicer for camping - they pack away easier, they hold way more :)

Don't think they'd be something good for ageing wine in, but the quickly drunk stuff...

my local bar saved some box wine containers for me but I have not figured out how to recycle them. any body know how?

I've started using the wine on tap as well, Darlene, for the mist kits - very convenient, less bottling ( I use one bag and get about 18 bottles for taking elsewhere/giving away) and the stuff stays surprisingly fresh in the bag.

Do you have more info about where to buy this "wine on tap" bag? I did a Google search and it looks like the replacement bags are $15 ? Can you re-use the bags? If not, I don't think this is very economical, since cork cost about 6 cents each.

Last edited:
We handle the bags just like the bottles - clean/sterlize and fill...

They only run about 2-3$ each (holds a good 3-4L) at the LHBS - I couldn't seem to spot them online either. Edit - http://www.scholle.com/applications/wine-spirits/ <- Manufacturer of the bags we have...

Rubber spout pops on/off (pretty much just like the stuff in the kits - need to put a little muscle into it).

Last edited:
JDeere - the Wine on Tap system is distributed by Fermtech and widely available in LHBS's in this area, and I'm guessing the rest of Canada. Not sure about the States. Costs here are about $20 for the initial bucket/bag/dispenser and replacement bags are about $12 for a pack of 3 - perhaps the $15 price you saw was for 3 as well. These bags supposedly hold about 9 bottles, although I think I got about 12 bottles in the one I used. I'm told they are reuseable but not easy getting the dispenser removed for refilling - haven't got to that point yet myself.
It's not just the cost of a cork you consider; it's the bottles ( getting/washing/labeling), storage and ease of dispensing a glass at a time without worrying about a half empty bottle sitting around.
As I said, this is the first time I've used one and so far it works out quite well - this is a mist kit though; probably not feasible for a premium wine.
Doug

Latest posts

Back