Cellar Craft Keg Modification for Wine Storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Has anyone modified a full size keg or corny keg for storage of wine?
I want to get away from glass and plastic and it was suggested by a tank supplier in CA to use a full size keg. It would need a valve for draining and filtering.

Hopefully someone has done this and can show me what works and what to stay away from. Do I cut a hole in the center of the side like a oak barrel and store on a standard barrel rack or cut off the fill valve on the top and use a corny keg top to seal then weld a valve on the bottom for draining.

I appreciate any suggestions and photos.

We use kegs to store our wines and to my knowledge hubby did not change anything. However we did have a lot of the extras since he makes beer. Right now he is out of town but I'll ask and post what changes he made to the kegs. I do know they are stored upright and topped off with nitrogen.

Yes, you can leave the kegs as is and use nitrogen or vacuum to fill/drain.

Spoke to hubby.
We use the 5 gallon corny kegs to age the wine. I will generally bottle the extra gallon with I am using them for kit wines. We do not change or modify the kegs and use a picnic tap to pour a glass or the beer gun to bottle.

Back