keeping sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orf

Junior
Reaction score
can I mix up a gallon of sanitizer,in my case (one step)and keep it in a gallon jug and just use it as needed for any length of time?thanks.

Many do but not for long periods of time. Make sure you buy a new clean spray bottle and keep it full by your wine making table. It will make things much easier when you just need a little for a spoon or a hydrometer.

I've kept it (K-meta) for a few months with no loss of potency. I keep most of it in a gallon jug and the rest in a spray bottle like Redtrk says.

Absolutely! Just keep the cap on tight and it should last for months. Use your nose as a guide for its potency. Pour some in a carboy and shake it up. Put your nose down to the mouth and take a good whiff. If it gags you its still good to go!

This will work fine for kmets sanitizing solution but Im not sure about the "one step" he is asking about. Mike you can answer this better.

This will work fine for kmets sanitizing solution but Im not sure about the "one step" he is asking about. Mike you can answer this better.

I use One Step and it stays good for quite awhile. I usually toss it about once a month and make a new batch just to be safe.

thanks for the quick replies.the spray bottle sounds great,just what I'm after.A spoon or s.g. test tube.

Star San works and lasts well too.....As long as you use distilled water to mix it.

Oops, my bad, didn't read closely and was thinking K-Meta. "One-Step" uses sodium percarbonate (which becomes hydrogen peroxide in water) Hydrogen peroxide is not a very stable compound, so, it is always decomposing to water and oxygen, but under normal conditions, the decomposition goes very slowly. Your bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide under the sink will last for months and months before it goes bad.

Here is a good link with tons of info about Oxygen Bleaches

I see lots of posts about using Oxy-Clean. Is this used as a substitute for something like One-Step? If so, it should keep after being mixed up as well, right?

Yes that is correct. We use it instead on One-Step as it is a lot cheaper. You can get it in 13 pound boxes at Home Depot and Sam's club for around $13.00. Probably a bit more in AK but still cheaper than One Step. Make sure you do not get the scented stuff.

I use a lot of it soaking bottles to remove labels. Plus you know all of the other household uses for it.

Latest posts

Back