K sorbate and Campden Tablets to Stabilze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CChampion

Junior
Reaction score
First off, this is the first time I have stabilized my wine for bottling. I usually do just 1 gallon batches and gift or drink it before it would become a problem. Now, I just put 2 1/2 teaspoons of K sorbate and 5 campden tabletsin a small amount of water and mixedwell and putin a 5 gallon batch of muscadine wine that is around 4 months old. I am getting ready to back sweeten a little bit and bottle in a week or so and after adding this to my wine this morning it of course had a bad smell. I know the campden tablets have the sulfur smell but I was wondering will time allow that smell to disipate? When I took the bung and airlock off the wine this morning before adding the stabilizer it smelled awesome and now like I said has a little of an odor. Also, it had been racked 3 times to this point and is clear as a bell, but has a sligh haze to it now, will this settle?

Thanks,

Clark

Yes, that will go away pretty shortly. So you were handing out possible bottle bombs before? You could have been labeled a terrorist!
smiley36.gif

yes sir, the couple times I have made wine over the last 2 years it was done the way my friend and his grandad has done it and it is at best a country way. The more I read on wine making after getting intrested in it the more I started to see how different people do things. I have been doing it the more appropriate way the last 6 months and they just laugh when I say something about a SG, Hydrometer, Campden tablets or any other chemical for that matter.........It is a intresting way they do things and it has worked for them, but yes, they do have alot of blown off corks at times.....

Back