K-Meta Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to bottle 6 gallons of cab franc. My question is should I add k-meta before bottling? I added about 1/4 tb about two months ago while racking, don't know if I need to do it again or not. Thanks.

I would as the instructions say to add another 1/4 tsp even if bottling at that time. This will bring you up to a decent level.

burning did you add 1/4 teaspoon or 1/4 tablespoon? Big difference there. If it was 1/4 teaspoon then do as Wade says. If it was 1/4 tablespoon then you should stile have MORE than enough for protection. Let us know please.

I think I just took a table spoon and put a little k meta in the bottom of it and dumped it in (I know not very scientific). But it was very little it seemed for 6 gallons.

I think I would opt to not add any more myself. Wade are yousaying if he added a teaspoon full already you would add another? A full teaspoon is 3-4 times more than needed already for 6 gallons.

Next time use a 1/4 TEASPOON measure when adding it. Then you could safely add another 1/4 TEASPOON before bottling using a total of 1/2 TEASPOON for the batch (unless bulk aging a long time).

Oh boy, Rich is is right and my math is very off this morning. I will be deleting that post and hopefully you didnt read it, if so pm me.I got confused in all this tsp tbls stuff and started to think for a second that you only added 1/3 the tsp. A table spoon=3 teaspoons so basically like appleman says you may have just added 1 teaspoon which is 3x more then we add. You will want to age this and maybe even splash rack it to get some out. I would go to a dollar store and get a measuring device for this and this alone.

Thanks guys! I felt like I hardly put any in though, like a few pinches. Maybe I'm making it seem like more than it really was.

I think it is fine like it is. I wouldn't add any more to be safe. You could also get an Accuvin Free S02 test and find out how much you have in it. UNless you plan on aging for years, it should be good to go anyways.

Latest posts

Back