Long term bill storage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a point when too much k-meta is added to wine? Would it affect tastes or any other component in the wine.
Yes, but that amount is seriously high. However, if you add 1/4 tsp K-meta per 19-23 liters at rackings and every 3 months during bulk aging, you'll be well below the limit.

So basically, the environment and chemistry are ever changing. Do what you can to replicate, control or stabilize it - or just bottle and drink it.?🤷🏼‍♀️
I’m not a fan of additives, so I use it conservatively.
To me, as long as it’s not bad, it’s all good… some better than others.😂
( Obviously, I am merely a hobbyist!)

I have also wondered if it is really necessary to add more Kmeta if the carboy is not being opened. I can think of two possible reasons we might need to add more:
  1. If there is a small leak, and oxygen is getting in.
  2. If the Kmeta (free SO2) is gradually being "used up" (bound with O2) already in the wine. In that case, when the Kmeta is used up, there might be a need for additional Kmeta
It seems that if the Kmeta binds all the oxygen in the wine, and no more leaks in, we wouldn't need any additional Kmeta. But since I can't be 100% sure that neither reason above applies, I am leaning toward adding Kmeta every 6 months as a precaution.
Thanks for the info. I am planning to do one more racking and will add kmeta this week and will bottle maybe in October

Back