K-Meta and Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott B

Reaction score
I have Two Question about K-Meta and Bulk Aging.

1. I know that when bulk aging you need to add a ¼ tsp to the 6 gal. Carboy every 3 month to keep it safe. So instead of bulk aging you bottle age the wine, is it unsafe after 3 months?
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />2.If you add a ¼ tsp of k-metato the 6 gal. Carboy and bulk age for two months do you need to add more k-meta before bottling? If so how much?

1. No. There is much less loss of K-meta in a corked bottle than there is in a carboy with an airlock. K-meta will release SO2 that will depart through the airlock just like CO2 will over time.

2. The best thing to do is test the K-meta level to see it more is necessary. If unable to do that I would add the extra 1/4 tsp prior to bottling. Your level of K-meta will probably still be less than the average commercial wine.

Thanks Peter,

Being a Newbie - can you tell me about testing the SO2 levels.

What to use to test?
What levels do I need to have?

Thanks Wayne,

Wow at $3.20 per test it may be cheaper to just add 1/8 tsp of k-meta and move on with the bottling.
smiley1.gif

That's one way to look at it Scott. Another is $3.20 / 30 = less than $0.11 per bottle to make sure you don't ruin a $125 kit!

Back