WineXpert Just started a unoaked Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winehaus

Haus Leader
Reaction score
Please don't jump on me cuz I am learning this is a no no even though I do not like those overly oaked chards I'm used to. I have loved some chards from France that I was lucky enough to taste in classes(most people guessed wrong when they said no oak was used,like me). The main reason I made the wine expert one is because the local brew shop had it in its limited inventory and that's currently what I'm making from some chard grapes grown in Kansas this fall. I wanted to compare.

That ramble wasn't worthless as I wanted to give a description of what I like. I will update this thread with progress/problems as I go with this kit but also would like suggestions for another kit to start. Currently my shop only offers these and limited(i.e. 2 cellars) kits so that's what I'm stuck to unless I'm informed about a website offering comparable prices with shipping included.

I'd bet that 50% of the "new" chardonnays are unoaked.

It goes in cycles...

Lots of Chard drinkers like their Chard unoaked. I can drink it either way. The last Chard I made, which I want to enter into competition, had almost no oak at all.

With a kit, you don't have to add the oak or you can add only a portion. It's your choice.

I don't like it either way (the sur-lee taste reminds me of the stuff I throw away when wine making) but unoaked is better to me.

Interestingly enough California Chardonnay makers used so much oak for so long that many people confuse the oak flavor as actually being a flavor of Chardonnay. It seems that as of recently however, oak is regaining is secondary role and letting the grape shine.

Interestingly enough California Chardonnay makers used so much oak for so long that many people confuse the oak flavor as actually being a flavor of Chardonnay. It seems that as of recently however, oak is regaining is secondary role and letting the grape shine.

Heavy oak sometimes is a great coverup for a not-so-good wine.

Latest posts

Back