Just ordered some Vines...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizerdking

Reaction score
25 Marquette and 25 Landot Noir from Double A... Shipping in April

I've been reading, watching videos, and reading some more for the past 6 months or so, I'm ready to start growing this year. Going to try to get the site ready as soon as the weather breaks. Any Assistance in getting started would be greatly appreciated.

I have a bunch of old telephone poles that I'll be cutting down to serve as the trellis posts, Any tips on where to buy wire/hardware? Tips on what to buy?

Looks like Low Cordon for both of these varieties, correct?

Deer/Bunnies are thick in my area, Any worries on them destroying everything before they have a chance to take hold?

Blue Tubes or no Blue Tubes? I'm leaning toward yes....

3 years is going to be a long wait.... ugh

Arg, I put this in the wrong section... Help Mod's?

Last edited:
Congrads on getting the vineyard going :r

I use the pink 2 piece tubes, others use the blue ones and I think there are others out there, but their main pourpose is to give protection to the young plants. They work well with the rabbits, if deer are a problem you can stack them on top of each other and run them two high. :spm

I would wait to double stack them untill they start poking out the top and you notice the deer eating them, but put the tubes on as soon as you plant them.

I like the two piece ones because if you have an agressive plant that branches out fast in the first year ( like Frontenac does) it is easy to get them off, just snap them in half. The one piece ones you have to try to slide them off the top of the plant without tearing it up ( the plant).

The two piece have thier issues, a PITA to put together, I just grab a beer and a lawn chair and spend a while snapping them together.:slp

Telephone poles will work well. I would suggest to use them as end posts and steel "T" bars inbetween, it makes it easy to mow.

I picked up wire at a local farm and home supply, my runs are about 100-150 ft long, so I used the 12.5g high tensil wire. It cost about the same as a vineyard supply with out the shipping. If you have longer runs I would use the 9g wire but for the few plants you have it is difficult to work with.

I know how you feel about the time, mine should produce this year, the first two years you spend a lot of time mowing.

Good luck

Last edited:
The best place to get vineyard or orchard supplies for the little guy (or big guy) is Orchard Valley Supply They have the right wire you need (12.5 gauge) for a trellis and they sell it in small amounts (500ft) so you don't have a bunch of waste. The In-Line Wire Tightener's are cheap and work like a charm as well.

Last edited:
Ordered 25 vines split between Fontanac and Somerst grapes from Winterhaven nursery.

Planted 25 each Fontanac and Marquette from there 3 yareard ago with 100% sucess.

Hope to blend to take care of excess acid in the fontanac.

Latest posts

Back