Just ordered some Vines...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Robie, i wont pretend to be a deer expert, but this i witnessed for the last year...before installing my electric fence (2 wire w 5000 volts) in the back area i had deer, turkey and coyote every day......i put up the fence for baby bulls and it stopped day one....it continued this way as they got older...now maybe as they got older they intimidated the deer....the two wires were 18 and 36 inches high

however in the front of my place i installed an electric fence for the four baby bulls, these babys get places in a closed barn in the evening....i see no evidence of any deer or coyote even after a snowfall where prints are easy to see

deer fences in general are hideous to look at and while i would choose one vs lose a grape crop it would be far easier to get some cheap fiberglass stakes and run some fence tape that is easy to see vs wire and hook up a well endowed charger ( dont skimp on this part)....i would run at least two wires...3-4 if you feel the need

cost wise, this is far cheaper way to go...one other pro on this subject of electric fence.....when the crop is not hanging you can take it all down...esp when dormant

let me add something i also just learned about....there are grants to farmers to pay for most of your deer fence ...check w your state farm people....i know a lady who had the state of NH pay for close to all of her 8 ft high deer fence..looks just awful but what can you do :)

I was always told to never use telephone poles and railroad ties for gardening as the Creosote in them leeches out for years and years.

Latest posts

Back